Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expectant Father & Work Travel

Options
  • 06-11-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, we are expecting our second child after xmas. Recently my travel commitments with work have increased from a trip every 6 months or so to a trip almost every week. Most of the meetings may only last a few hours but I could be gone 3 days. Is there a time when I can politely say no to this travel and try get a colleague to attend in my absence, (say when my OH is 'x' weeks gone) as she is now beginning to find it difficult while I am away especially with a 2yr old already at home.

Your thoughts please,

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey when I was having my second my husband was travelling every week like yourself. I got my mam to help me out till 37 weeks then my husband asked his company about three months before my due date he couldn't travel from 37 weeks due to fact I may go into labour.

They were fine about it and understood so I would imagine it depends on the company my husbands works for a large US multi national

• Registered Users Posts: 8 khgaa

Mam of Two wrote: »
    Hey when I was having my second my husband was travelling every week like yourself. I got my mam to help me out till 37 weeks then my husband asked his company about three months before my due date he couldn't travel from 37 weeks due to fact I may go into labour.

They were fine about it and understood so I would imagine it depends on the company my husbands works for a large US multi national

Thank you for reply...like your husband, I work for US firm also. I know there should not be any hassle but just wanted to get idea of timeline. Did your husband stop travelling for a time after the birth also?

He took holidays for two weeks and then he got excused for two weeks after that. IT very tough and its only getting easy now if I am honest and they are now 3 and 4 it gets harder as they grow up as they think daddy should be home everynight put they get spoiled with duty free teddies and chocs and he spends the weekend with them we usually refuse to go out too much drinking on Saturday nights as with a hangover you don't enjoy them as much

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My husband travels a lot too,mostly to the US and London.Some trips are only 3/4 days others are 3 weeks.
    Our agreement is no travelling in the last month of pregnancy,we have a 4 and 2 year old and 10 month old and another due in April.

Mam of Two wrote: »
    He took holidays for two weeks and then he got excused for two weeks after that. IT very tough and its only getting easy now if I am honest and they are now 3 and 4 it gets harder as they grow up as they think daddy should be home everynight put they get spoiled with duty free teddies and chocs and he spends the weekend with them we usually refuse to go out too much drinking on Saturday nights as with a hangover you don't enjoy them as much

Sounds very familiar to our lives....

Also it can be tough to pick out something different each time in the duty free :-)

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    My husband travels a lot too,mostly to the US and London.Some trips are only 3/4 days others are 3 weeks.
    Our agreement is no travelling in the last month of pregnancy,we have a 4,2 and 10 month old and another due in April.

Congrats!

Have you any agreement for travel immediately after the birth?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In the beginning it was a novelty now they get a bar of chocolate lol
    We should start a support group;)lol

Hey
    we def should set up a support group I am the only parent at playschool in this situation and its such a pain when you get asked to nights out and they always the night he is away.

We been cheating re presents lately we bought a load of books and small toys in argos when they were on sale we keep them in garage he gets home at 11pm usually take one out each and leaves them on their beds.

Duty free though is great for perfume drinks for xmas and make up for the mammy though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I recently set up a group on FB for parents with a partner who works abroad or frequently travels away. It's good to get some support from other parents in a similar situation. Feel free to PM me if you would like a link :)

OP I would say avoid travel from 36/37 weeks on if you can. I would imagine the earlier you inform your employers of your intentions regarding this they may be better able to plan to accommodate you.

Advertisement