Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Security Essentials, would it be suitable?

Options
  • 06-11-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭

For my Dad to download to his laptop, it's free seemingly, doesn't use the laptop a whole pile, mainly for news, travel & email. Is it good enough protection, his 1yr McAfee is about to expire

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Microsoft recommend to not use it alone, it only stops about 80% of malware, although McAfee only stops about 50% so it's a big upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

It was the best but not anymore, avast or avg are among the best options and both are free.

Avg is fairly useless now too. Avast is good, Comodo is better but you have to know what you are doing for it to be useful as it relies a bit on user input.

MSE was never near the best, Norton has been the best for protection for at least 5 years, it was rivalled by McAfee many years ago and recently by Kaspersky but it has always been the best. The only downside to Norton is that will will slow your computer. And there are several different versions of Norton only the Internet Security is any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Thanks for replies, I've had Norton before myself & it has slowed pc down ok, was kinda looking for a free download one if possible for him otherwise will have to spend a few bob

• Advertisement

You say you are doing it for you dad, that would imply he isn't very tech savvy, so you should go with Avast if you are looking for something free. Paid products are generally better than the free ones and you're not fully protected without internet security, antivirus only protects against basic viruses and there's a lot more than that out there. Unfortunately there are no products that offer good protection with no slowdown.

I saw Norton IS for 3 computers for €40 in Tesco today, I think it was €30 for 3 pcs in Argos recently if you decide to go for something paid.

Some Avast reviews say there are a lot of pop ups, that would drive him mad

Any opinion on the McAfee e-cards available on ebay

Some Avast reviews say there are a lot of pop ups, that would drive him mad

You can turn them off for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Have a look at Avira and just don't install the toolbar

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

what about panda, i use it no grief, it just runs in the background and never asks a question.

Advertisement