Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

screwed over

Options
  • 06-11-2013 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

wondering if anybody out there can help. My friend from college made a website for a small company. he said he would have it finished in a week and went well over a his time budget. he didn't do up a contract and the company are leaving him but they only paid half of what he invoiced them. he hasn't given them the website yet but wants to put it up and make them pay the rest.

is their anything he can do legally about this? or does he just have to bite the bullet.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Your friend didn't deliver what he said he would deliver when he said he would deliver it and he's surprised the customer is walking?

How would you friend feel if the company asked for a refund of the half that's already been paid as he failed to hold up his end of the deal?

Perhaps you could clarify which party you think was screwed over. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dan fnuts

he has the website finished and thought that the company was going to give the go ahead to put it up and he would get the rest of the money. when he sent his invoice for payment the company start saying they were not happy with how they were being billed. honestly i have no idea how web development and clients troubles can be worked out so i said i would put a post up here to see if their is a way.

what could you do in a situation where the company does not fully pay?

Did your friend stay in communication with the 'client' throughout the extended delay? Did the client indicate they were happy to proceed despite the delay?

yeah they did stay in communication

What specifically has the client said he's unhappy with?

• Advertisement

they were not happy with bits of the invoice, my mate charged them 75 quid for a holding page for 3 months while he was working on it and 350 quid for the front page design and a rotating banner. now the company are saying that they sent over all the design work and that they should pay less. like he put the page together so surely that counts as design regardless if they sent him the pictures and stuff

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Dan fnuts wrote: »
    they were not happy with bits of the invoice, my mate charged them 75 quid for a holding page for 3 months while he was working on it and 350 quid for the front page design and a rotating banner. now the company are saying that they sent over all the design work and that they should pay less. like he put the page together so surely that counts as design regardless if they sent him the pictures and stuff

He was supposed to do it in a week, it went on for 3 months and he wants to charge them €75 for the holding page, seriously!

What price did he actually agree with them in the first place?

whats wrong with charging 75? what would you usually charge for hosting? i think it was about 1200 plus vat and they only paid half of that and want to walk away and get some other guy to finish it. I take it from the comments that my mate has been a bit of a dope in this scenario ?

Dan fnuts wrote: »
    I take it from the comments that my mate has been a bit of a dope in this scenario ?

It is beginning to look that way, yes.

It's fairly impressive that a college friend can sell a company a weeks work at €1200, even more impressive that he managed to get half of this upfront. Perhaps your friend should rethink the career as a web designer and go into sales.

Your college mate is VAT registered too??

yeah he all set up to make his millions, lol. ok cool thanks guys i will just tell him to leave it and be smarter in future. tanx for the advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

Graham wrote: »
    It's fairly impressive that a college friend can sell a company a weeks work at €1200, even more impressive that he managed to get half of this upfront. Perhaps your friend should rethink the career as a web designer and go into sales.

Your college mate is VAT registered too??

Ah, the old "act like a pro, deliver like a total amateur" routine. I knew a few of them back in the day.

Advertisement