Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry general maternity care

Options
  • 06-11-2013 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hello everyone,

I am nearly 9 weeks pregnant and going through public care in Kerry general in Tralee. So far I have only had my first GP visit but I did receive my card with info on which weeks to visit gp and which weeks to visit the hospital.

Does anyone have more info on what happens during all these visits as in the first gp visit it wasn't even officially confirmed that we were indeed pregnant. Only bloods being taken and advise on folic acid and vitD

Also do you get letters with your appointments for the hospital stating time and date to show up (like for the first scan) or are you required to make these apts yourself?

Can anyone share their experiences with Kerry general?

Thank you so much
    Excited first time mom!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Hiya congrats :) did your doc fill out the forms for the hospital for you? He sends these off to the hospital and they will post you back a time and date for your first appointment. At your first appt you will be seen down by the maternity ward, and the midwife will take a medical
    History and then you will get a scan. Routinely Kerry only give you one scan. They booking appt was normally around 20 weeks but lately that seems to have changed to between 12-16 weeks. I was booked in through early pregnancy unit this time so not entirely sure on that though :) this will be my second baby in Kerry!

You will also get posted out your combined care forms.

Are you going privately or publicly? If it's private you have a choice of 3 consultants :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PicturePerfect

cyning wrote: »
    Hiya congrats :) did your doc fill out the forms for the hospital for you? He sends these off to the hospital and they will post you back a time and date for your first appointment. At your first appt you will be seen down by the maternity ward, and the midwife will take a medical
    History and then you will get a scan. Routinely Kerry only give you one scan. They booking appt was normally around 20 weeks but lately that seems to have changed to between 12-16 weeks. I was booked in through early pregnancy unit this time so not entirely sure on that though :) this will be my second baby in Kerry!

You will also get posted out your combined care forms.

Are you going privately or publicly? If it's private you have a choice of 3 consultants :)

Thanks so much for your response and congrats on your second pregnancy! When are you due?

Yes my gp filled out the forms and I got a letter this week confirming its been approved. I'm going public and I've heard so many different reviews! So a little anxious to see how it all will go but I suppose I'll just have to take it as it comes!

I can't wait to have a first scan to hear the heartbeat and get confirmed everything is ok!

Oh you do hear so many different reviews! I'm under Dr Hughes again, but have met Dr Lachandani (sp?) too and they are both lovely. I had a difficult pregnancy first time round and I was seen very regularly with lots of scans: baby is priority which is the main thing. I'm due in March :) I'm public too.

Don't get me wrong there are some issues with the hospital, but every hospital has it's horror stories and there is no point at all in focusing on them.

The scan is lovely, it's so nice to see your baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PicturePerfect

cyning wrote: »
    Oh you do hear so many different reviews! I'm under Dr Hughes again, but have met Dr Lachandani (sp?) too and they are both lovely. I had a difficult pregnancy first time round and I was seen very regularly with lots of scans: baby is priority which is the main thing. I'm due in March :) I'm public too.

Don't get me wrong there are some issues with the hospital, but every hospital has it's horror stories and there is no point at all in focusing on them.

The scan is lovely, it's so nice to see your baby!

My sister in law had great things to say about dr Hughes! As long as baby is priority that is really the main thing so that's good.

Like you say I suppose every hospital will have their horror reviews. Do you know how long in advance you get the letter with your notification about the appointment? Just so excited to have a date to look forward to!

In a way time flies but at the same time it crawls sooo slowly!

In 2012 I got my letter about 11 weeks for my booking appt at 20 weeks. This time my GP got a phonecall but I was seen at 6 weeks so it was different!

Id say you'll probably get something in the next few weeks :) you can ring hospital and ask them too just ring switchboard and explain you want to find out about your booking appt for your baby and the secretary should give you an idea of how long you'll be waiting?

• Advertisement
Advertisement