Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablets????? HELP needed

Options
  • 06-11-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi i want to buy my boyfriend a tablet for Christmas. My eyes and head are sore from reading reveiws! Can anyone help me through personal expeirience? He likes to browse donedeal, facebook etc. & i'm looking to spend approx 100-150 euro. Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.powercity.ie/?action=&par=10-28&cat=10-28&action=brandstory

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-28-GEM8902

get the samsung tablet 179 euro,

OR the gemini 8 inch.
    note it only has 4 hours battery life.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-28-5000704

Samsung tablet, alot better if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Go on amazon.co.uk.... huge savings :)

Selling the galaxy 2 - 7 Inch for under €150

also look out for black friday on the 29th of this month, will have massive discounts

• Registered Users Posts: 9 amme83

Thank you for your replys, much appriciated! I have never used Amazon, pay by laser card? Also what do i need to make good tablet? I really am clueless :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Samsung 7" tab 2 in argos for 149e plus 10e back as a voucher, there might still be an extra 10e voucher still available too...20e in total ask at cc desk

• Registered Users Posts: 9 amme83

Doom wrote: »
    Samsung 7" tab 2 in argos for 149e plus 10e back as a voucher, there might still be an extra 10e voucher still available too...20e in total ask at cc desk

Hi, thank's for your reply. I can only see one in Argos for 189e... 150 is kind of as far as i could push it!

• Advertisement

amme83 wrote: »
    Thank you for your replys, much appriciated! I have never used Amazon, pay by laser card? Also what do i need to make good tablet? I really am clueless :D

"Amazon Payments accepts verified UK, German and Luxembourg bank or building society accounts, credit cards, debit cards, and transfers from your available Amazon Payments account balance. Credit cards currently accepted include Visa, MasterCard (Euro Card), and American Express. Debit cards currently accepted include Visa Electron, Delta and Maestro."

I dont think they do lazer, but to be fair I thought they were getting rid of them ages ago for visa debits.

You need a degree in computer engineering plus a lot of nice parts to make a good tablet.

Tablets can be evaluated in terms of processing power, so how many cores the processor has look for "Quad Core" > "Dual Core" if possible and about 1 or 2 gigs of RAM (any more is a bonus)

Display Size 7" or 9" is about standard (thats what she said) and also the quality of the display, try to go for an AMOLED or SUPER AMOLED display, or a screen with a good pixel definition.

Also look for the newest versions of the OS they're on. Android 4.4 to 4.1 should work pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I bought my wife the 10" version of this Acer tablet which comes in a €164. I can't comment on the 7" but the 10" is a very good piece of kit actually.
    The one I've linked to us Dual Core, 1GB Ram and has a micro-sd slot for expandability.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you are buying a cheap one make sure it has access to the Play Store.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    If you are buying a cheap one make sure it has access to the Play Store.

Ehhh as long as it has a browser you can download it from play.google.com

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Could I jump in here....

am thinking of getting a Surface 2 for my 16 year old. He was using by old laptop which has finally died recently (needs screen replacement)

We were looking at some laptops at approx E400 however the Surface 2 looks like it may well be a suitable laptop replacement.

Expected usage would be browsing and some word processing. Maybe some movie/TV watching. Doesn't require large SDD capacity. Nothing too hi spec.
    Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

Hi,
    A few people from work have started buying a lot of the below during the week after one of the IT guys bought 1, I'm going to be working one one next week so I'll let you know what it's like, seems to have great reviews and amazing price for 9.7" tablet.

www.amazon.co.uk/Gemini-GEM10313s-Capacative-Upgradeable-Bluetooth/dp/B00BY6142W £119.99

We're getting them through work for €140 so if you don't find one from the price let me know and I'll see if I can get you one.

Here's a little write up about it, would be good to get other people's views on it, spec seems very good to me.
    www.technology-review-site.com/gemini-joytab-gem10313s-tablet-review

I started checking only the other day the specs on all the 7" tabs the supplier we use in work was selling and came up with the below, this info could help you iff you decide to go for a 7" tablet.

Below is a copy and paste from excel so not sure how it's going to come out, all but the bottom 2 seem to be around the same price, I was advised by 2 people to keep away from the Arnova one as they had nothing but trouble. to me and I'm no expert the Asus and Gemini ones seem the best.

Anyone know how to get excel to show up on here so it looks right?

I'll just stick the 2 7" ones I think are half decent.

ASUS (ME172V-1B071A)7" TABLET - BLACK (Size=7") RAM= 1GB (Memory= 16GB) 1Ghz Dual Core Processor (Resolution=1024 x 600) Operating System =Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
    GEMINI (GEM7020) Gemini ARM Cortex A9 (Size= 7") RAM=1GB (Memory= 8GB) 1.5ghz Dual Core Processor (Resolution = 1024 x 600) Operating System = Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)

Hope this comes out a little better.

Thanks for the info...will look properly later...just finished a night shift.

Was chatting to a tech guy yesterday and the Surface 2 is looking good in my mind. 16 yr old would be more inclined to a 'known' brand name.
    But will def look over your links.

CARphone warehouse have a 7 inch android tablet ,
    100 euro .
    i have not read a review on it yet.
    SAMSUNG TABLET 10 inch is better for a teen ,loads of games on it, and android apps.
    THE advantage of the surface is runs ms office , win8 apps.
    its more aimed at a business user.
    it s very expensive.

riclad wrote: »
    SAMSUNG TABLET 10 inch is better for a teen ,loads of games on it, and android apps.
    THE advantage of the surface is runs ms office , win8 apps.
    its more aimed at a business user.
    it s very expensive.
    We were looking at a laptop but the Surface 2 looks to be a decent alternative to a laptop. Windows 8 and MS Office would be needed on a laptop anyway. The Samsung tablets doesn't offer the same.

ARGOS have a tablet 7 inch,
    100 pounds sterling,
    gets good reviews ,i cant find the price in euros.

C M tablet 2 cameras, 8gig,
    1gig ram , gets good reviews , argos 129 euros.

Advertisement