Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C drive 'full'?

Options
  • 06-11-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've a problem with the C drive on my Toshiba Satellite C650. The C drive appears to be fill up very fast through no fault of my own. It can appear so full that the computer doesn't even have enough space to view any picture files that I try to open - often saying 0 bytes available in WINDOWS (C: ) in my computer. I've tried several times deleting big files from the hard disk, and it might free up say 2GB from it, but within 30 minutes it says that it's full again even though I haven't downloaded or installed anything. Refreshing 'My Computer' you can see the space decreasing by the second. Clueless as to how to fix this, any ideas?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

IrishKev wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've a problem with the C drive on my Toshiba Satellite C650. The C drive appears to be fill up very fast through no fault of my own. It can appear so full that the computer doesn't even have enough space to view any picture files that I try to open - often saying 0 bytes available in WINDOWS (C: ) in my computer. I've tried several times deleting big files from the hard disk, and it might free up say 2GB from it, but within 30 minutes it says that it's full again even though I haven't downloaded or installed anything. Refreshing 'My Computer' you can see the space decreasing by the second. Clueless as to how to fix this, any ideas?
    Thanks
    You could have a malware or virus, run a scan to see, and if you have or not then do a disk clean up, link below how to do it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Check to see how big your user profile is

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Hey again all, I reinstalled Norton after I had let it run unexpired for some time - it found some trojans which it has removed. Cheers motels, fairly foolish not to have an anti-virus on my part but that's laziness I suppose. The problem has stopped, however it still only says there is 500MB of free space on my C drive when I know there it much more. It's not getting any smaller but the GBs that I freed up are still lost. Any idea on how to recover them?
    Thank you again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Install and run this to find out what is using up all your space: http://windirstat.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

WINDOWS makes temp files,copys browser ,history etc,
    i fixed a pc, drive was full , zero space free.
    THERE was about 5gig of files made by the antivirus program .
    it recorded all scan files etc.
    i set it to no longer save log files larger than 50meg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

It's really well worth doing a number of basic housecleaning routines, if you haven't already done them, in the order suggested;

1. Go into your web browser and delete the history.
    2. Go into Windows explorer, right click on the C drive, then select Properties and then disck cleanup and when it comes back with a result delete the recommended files.
    3. From the start menu search type in chkdsk and select chkdsk.exe. Give it a few minutes and then restart. Chkdsk should run on the restart. It should identify any file error which would be using up space and recover them. It may take quite a while but you might need to respond if it finds errors.
    4. Again from Wondows explorer, right click on C drive, select properties tools tab and the defrag and let then run. It will take hours!

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Thanks a million lads, my laptop is awaiting a new adapter atm so I can't try these until it gets delivered. But I'll update on here with how it goes. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

When your charger arrives download and run ccleaner (www.piriform.com).

It will clear the temp files and should reclaim a few Gigabytes.

Then install and run this (or the one mentioned above):

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

to find out what folders are using up all of the space.

Dont delete anything without checking here first.

How big is the C: Drive, is there a D: drive (2nd Partition on the drive, if there is, is there anything on it)

Advertisement