Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never built a PC, building two soon, htpc and gaming pc

Options
  • 06-11-2013 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi there, I was wondering if you guys could offer some friendly advice. I'm in the process of building a htpc for myself and I also offered to build a gaming PC for a friend of mine for a bit of fun. My htpc has a budget of 600 euros and the gaming pc has a buddget of 500.
    My htpc is going to be used for watching satellite and terrestrial digital tv (ireland is odd in that the domestic chanells are only available through an aerial) and internet content as well as some gaming and seeing as it's going to be on all the time maybe a bit of bitcoin mining on the side :-). It would be nice if it was future proof for 3d and UHD (though not essential) and still be playing games at reasonable frame rates over the next couple of years. I also want it to be quiet and power effecient. I've done up a wishlist on amazon on what I think woud work. I was wondering particularly if I should go with the apu I've selected or if I should get something less powerful in terms of processor and get a dedicated graphics card. Any insights would be great :-)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/registry/wishlist/CI2ZHI89WA76/ref=topnav_lists_2
    The gaming PC is going to be used for games obviously but my friend would also be doing some video editing with sony vegas of gaming videos for youtube. I'm a videographer myself and I use adobe premiere on my edit suite. I know that intel and nvidia are the prefered choices in that regard but I know nothing of vegas. Also I'm a bit out of the loop in terms of gaming so I don't know what to look out for in terms of spec. I also know that my friend would be doing a bit of overclocking, I know nothing about this and how this would influence parts etc. Here's the link, let me know what you think :-) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/registry/wishlist/2AEDND5INQ2XK/ref=topnav_lists_3
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It makes no sense that you have a higher budget for the htpc than the gaming pc.

To be honest you should combine the budget and just do an all in 1 system.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Vade

His friend might object to him using his money for his own computer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Ah my bad. I tend to skim through walls of text. :)

Advertisement