Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice from experience with SVDP

Options
  • 05-11-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm really not sure if this is the right place for this, but I couldn't find a charity forum...

I applied for the Vincent De Paul education grant a couple of months ago. I got a call for an interview on a Saturday but I told them I couldn't do a Saturday because I had to work. They said they only did interviews on Saturdays and I said unfortunately I wouldn't be able to go so they cancelled my application.

So 2 volunteers came to the house tonight to ask me how I got on with the application. I explained the above and the responses of one of the volunteers really got to me. She asked me why I didn't go for the interview repeatedly even though I already explained why I couldn't go as I had to work. Then she said well you could have taken the day off work or something to go you didn't have to miss it, which to me isn't fair to say as obviously if I am needing help from SVDP I am not in a position to be taking days off work to go to an interview for some money that I don't know I'm even going to get or how much it is. Then she said to me I really should have gone for the interview because she knows people that got €3500 and they don't know how much I would have got but again repeated that they know people who got that much and I could have gotten a lot.

Then I said it was really unfortunate because I lost my job for not being flexible enough with college and I could really do with the money. And she said that I would know for next year to go for the interview.

I was quite shaken and embarressed by the whole experience to be honest. When they left I got quite upset.

Am I wrong in thinking that it's not acceptable for an organisation who helps people in severe financial difficulty to say things like this to someone? Or am I overreacting?

Sorry again if this is the wrong forum.

Advertisement