Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intellectual disability and driving test

Options
  • 05-11-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    firstly I hope it's ok to post this here, couldn't find any other forum where it might fit.

Long story short- My Brother has an intellectual disability and also displays quite strong signs of autism (he is 41 years old and diagnosis wasn't really there when he was young so any diagnosis has been retrospective and therefore difficult to pin down, if that makes sense). He has, however, coped reasonably well with life and lives independently and is quite a capable individual.

However, one thing that has really eluded him so far is passing his driving test. He has been driving since his early 20's and has failed the test over and over and over. If I thought for one second that he was a dangerous driver, I wouldn't be posting here. I really think that the problem lies in the test itself. Given his autistic traits, as well as a below average IQ, a test situation is more difficult for him than other people, and it doesn't seem to matter how many lessons we get for him, and how well he does at them, he fails the test every single time. I am well aware that many good drivers can fail the test, but i really feel that the test itself just is not designed for people in his situation. I know allowances cannot be made if it would compromise road safety, but I feel that he has failed the test within minutes of starting. Every instructor that has given him lessons has given him the green light to take the test, and every one of them has said they would put money on him passing, and every time he fails.

Not sure if anyone can help, but does anyone have any suggestions of ways to appeal, ways to get some sort of accommodation for his special needs? It would be such an achievement for him if he could pass it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Katie Bourke

Hi Corkie,
    Every organisation is required to make reasonable accomodation for people with disabilities.(Equal Status Act)

If you can get written proof from tutors, as well as diagnosis from doctors or similar you maybe able to come to a compromise that ensures road safety and enables your brother to drive.

Advertisement