Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Dropping out of college

Options
  • 05-11-2013 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am currently in week 10 of my college course and I am really hating every minute of it! I am finding the course extremely difficult and It is really not what I thought it would be. I am wondering what the procedure for dropping out of college is as there is little to no information online. I am also wondering about my course fees, I have paid half of my fees already so semester one is covered but do I need to pay for the rest of the year if I drop out? Can I get a refund on the fees I have paid If I leave the course now?

I am going to take the rest of the year out to do small programmes and volunteer work to see if I can find a line I would like to work in! I will be reapplying to college next september.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Matteroffact

What you would need to do is go to a mentor in the college you are attending and discuss this with them, or go to the student's office at the college and tell them what you said here and they will advise you of the next steps to take and answer all your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

First of all contact the Student Services of the relevent department you are attending, they should be able to advise.then I would send a written letter to the fees office stating exactly what day you are leaving. There is normally a certain date the college needed to be notified by so you will not be charged fees for the second term.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

EliPet wrote: »
    I am currently in week 10 of my college course and I am really hating every minute of it! I am finding the course extremely difficult and It is really not what I thought it would be. I am wondering what the procedure for dropping out of college is as there is little to no information online. I am also wondering about my course fees, I have paid half of my fees already so semester one is covered but do I need to pay for the rest of the year if I drop out? Can I get a refund on the fees I have paid If I leave the course now?

I am going to take the rest of the year out to do small programmes and volunteer work to see if I can find a line I would like to work in! I will be reapplying to college next september.

Because you have taken the place of another student and cost the college the cost if a student you do realise that you will have to pay the full fees for another course not just registration fees.

Perhaps you should look at another course and the possibility to transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Thebunnybanger

Fyi on the paying full college fees...this only applys if you drop out after the end of feb.Check this with your year head or student union.There is a cut off date so dont just assume you will be required to pay full fees if you decide to go back next year you wont.

Advertisement