Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcoole Area

Options
  • 05-11-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I am looking to buy a house in beachdale Kilcoole and would be grateful if you could let me know your thoughts on the area ?

I seen online Kilcoole is a high risk flooding area ? Has Kilcoole flooding problems ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Glad you got sorted. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ellied2007 wrote: »
    I seen online Kilcoole is a high risk flooding area ? Has Kilcoole flooding problems ?

Really? Where in Kilcoole?

I have never heard of or seen any flooding in Kilcoole with the exception of a slight road flood near the Marriott.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ellied2007

Apparently Holywell Phase 2 was built on wetlands and there was a big river diverted which is close to beechdale housing estate which apparently has a risk of flooding.

Not sure how accurate these reports online are that why am hoping someone from Kilcoole can clarify if there ever has been flooding in the area ?

I also found this..

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/88734?userlanguage=ga&save_prefs=true

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kilcoole gun running

Lived in kilcoole 30 years and never seen a flood their,their has been new houses built around it in the last number of years and still no problem,the area is well kept and safe for kids it's generally a good area to live with the seafront on your door,if I can help answer any more questions I would be happy to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Hi, I've been in Kilcoole for 15 years and I've neither seen nor heard of any area being flooded - other than the aforementioned puddle between Newtown and Kilcoole at the Mariott from time to time.

It would not concern me in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 guccigal

Hi

no idea about the flooding but were also looking in the area and it appears to be a nice quiet area. Beechdale ios also quite nice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

poldebruin wrote: »
    Hi, I've been in Kilcoole for 15 years and I've neither seen nor heard of any area being flooded - other than the aforementioned puddle between Newtown and Kilcoole at the Mariott from time to time.

It would not concern me in the slightest.

Living here my Whole life never remember any Flooding as for Holywell i cant say as its a new Development

Thanks all your comments have been really helpful. When your buying your first home you want to make the right choice.

I have been getting such mixed reviews when I asked people. I have taken a few trips down and the place seems nice and quiet but some people have told me that there was a nearby halting site, boy racers at the train station and kids that run a muck in the estates...

As well as some even saying if you buy a house there your house will be broke into...or don't walk through the village on your own at night too many drunks.

And yet I don't see any of this when am in the area it seems such a nice quiet place.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ellied2007 wrote: »
    I have been getting such mixed reviews when I asked people.

Yes so did I, then I noticed a pattern, the only people that gave it bad reviews had never lived there.
    Everyone that lives there seems to like it.
    I have taken a few trips down and the place seems nice and quiet but some people have told me that there was a nearby halting site

There is a housing estate for travellers.
    boy racers at the train station

I have seen a certain amount of boy racers, less so in the last few years.
    Having lived in both Greystones and Kilcoole for many years I would say that there are less boy racers in Kilcoole.

I would strongly recommend Kilcoole.
    and kids that run a muck in the estates...

There was an element of that in the past when some of the housing estates were new. Teething problems that have long since been resolved.
    As well as some even saying if you buy a house there your house will be broke into

This would not concern me anymore that it would in Delgany or Greystones. I was broken into in both of these places, but never Kilcoole.
    ...or don't walk through the village on your own at night too many drunks.

I don't go out in Kilcoole (or at all really) so I could not say. I have not heard of any complaints though.

Feel free to PM me if you like.

I hear good things about Beachdale.

Someone I know owns a house there.
    They moved out a number of years ago to new new buils, rented the Beachdale house out and are now considering moving back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Lived down the Sea Road in Kilcoole a while back. That area is very low lying but we never experienced any flooding.

There certainly was a bit of boy racer action going on down at the Station but nothing that ever concerned me. The Town itself is fine we never experienced any difficulties or trouble although we were burgled by an opportunistic thief on one occasion. I didn't do any socalising in the town so can't comment on the drunks etc but certainly it always seemed very quiet to me.

Great place to live in the Summer but it felt quite isolated and quiet in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eileen47

DONT BUY IN BEACHDALE!! i lived in one of the houses there for years so happy to be out of there. the house i had had a gate on the back which led to a green area where i was tormented with kids drunkers drinking behind my house at the stream and was even robbed they jumped my back wall and broke in through my back door.

i loved the kilcoole area the ppl where great i think it was just that estate. holywell is nice you should look there or maybe house u hav doesnt gots green area behind it so shud be fine

Eileen47 wrote: »
    DONT BUY IN BEACHDALE!! i lived in one of the houses there for years so happy to be out of there. the house i had had a gate on the back which led to a green area where i was tormented with kids drunkers drinking behind my house at the stream and was even robbed they jumped my back wall and broke in through my back door.

i loved the kilcoole area the ppl where great i think it was just that estate. holywell is nice you should look there or maybe house u hav doesnt gots green area behind it so shud be fine

oh my that doesn't sound good..... thanks for your honesty though

feel free to pm me. honestly kilcoole itself is nice and the ppl are lovely i think it was just where i was located like the house was odd it was terraced but had a back garden gate in middle of back wall. i though great access to green area but honestly brought me nothing but trouble.

Eileen47 wrote: »
    i think it was just where i was located like the house was odd it was terraced but had a back garden gate in middle of back wall. i though great access to green area but honestly brought me nothing but trouble.

So to clarify, are you saying that it was an issue that only applied to a particular house or houses that had rear access to the green area and not the entire estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 John456

I agree the newer estates like holywell and woodstock are much better be worth looking into.

yes that is correct. i like kilcoole itself and made some good friends there.

John456 wrote: »
    I agree the newer estates like holywell and woodstock are much better be worth looking into.

I like the look of Holywell myself. Well insulated, good windows & doors and solar panels. Big green areas too.

Wellfield looks smart, the houses are well proportioned and there are large green areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 guccigal

Hi all,
    I have recently purchased a house in Kilcoole. i'm on the lookout for a secondary school for girls. I prefer to keep them in all girls school as they are currently in an all girls. I have their names down in Loreto Bray, know nothing about it at all don't know anybody that went there, I chose it simply because of location. Does anybody know much about it, I have been told I haven't a hope in hell in getting them in there because the feeder school gets all the places. thanks

Advertisement