Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to keep my mobile number active while abroad

Options
  • 05-11-2013 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I'm leaving the country and won't be back for about 12 months. I've cancelled my mobile contract and will be sent out a PAYG sim.

However, I want to be able to re-activate my number if and when I come back. The operator I'm with now requires that I top up by 10 euro a month and that there's some activity on the account every six months.

Is there a cheaper or easier way to do this? Will my number just et re-assigned to someone else if I don't continue to put credit into the PAYG phone online while I'm abroad?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

The best thing for you to do is to move to a network who is far less restrictive with the terms and conditions. As far as I know, O2 have a policy whereby you only need to make one phone call or chargeable text message per six-month period.

If this sounds more suited to you, move your number across, top up your phone by five euros, and ask someone to update the phone by sending a message or phone call in the time required.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

I transferred to Meteor PAYG, and kept the sim with me in an old crappy phone, which let's face most people have. So you could borrow one if you don't have one and then use it every so often, by topping up the mimimum like StaticNoise suggests. I don't know if Meteor even have a minimum amount but it's probably good to have a bit of credit in case you need it anyway in case your other phone dies.

Advertisement