Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Networks

Options
  • 05-11-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a new phone, requires a Micro SIM. I know I can cut my one down to size, but I want to switch networks anyway, so now is as good a time as any. I'm on a Meteor contract that's past the minimum period, and want to switch to 3 prepay. My question is, can I just walk into a 3 shop later and get the switch done (with my mobile number staying as it is) quickly and painlessly? I'd rather have little to no loss of service during the switchover.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes you can just walk in, get the new card the number be ported over. When you current sim dies put the new sim card into the phone. If you go in the evening, the port may not be done till the following morning, just depends how late you go in.

You will then get a final bill at a later date. It would be advisable to confirm your out of contract before doing the port to prevent a large breakage fee. Has happened when an 18 month contract was signed for, thinking it was 12 month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Davy wrote: »
    Yes you can just walk in, get the new card the number be ported over. When you current sim dies put the new sim card into the phone. If you go in the evening, the port may not be done till the following morning, just depends how late you go in.

You will then get a final bill at a later date. It would be advisable to confirm your out of contract before doing the port to prevent a large breakage fee. Has happened when an 18 month contract was signed for, thinking it was 12 month.

Cheers, I'll on it over 2 years at this point so should be ok.

One recommendation I would make if you port is to test that you can receive calls from other mobiles and landlines afterwards. 99 times out of 100 it's fine, but the last time I ported it was a mess. Initially my old SIM didn't die - I was making calls on the new network and receiving them on the old one. When it eventually died I couldn't receive calls from landlines due to a routing error and I only found out several days later.

Advertisement