Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question regarding bf4 multiplayer

Options
  • 05-11-2013 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

What kind of internet connection is needed? I can play for example, LoL well with only the occasional disconnection. Would that be the same for BF4 or would it differ considering there would be more players than the 10 in a game of LoL

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Any broadband connection is enough, assuming it's stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

It's.. decently stable.. 200 or so average ping. Will that suffice?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

200 ping? Jaysus, that's really bad, I'd say that was unplayable for any twitch game.

I only consider bad above ~400. when it's laggy, it's around 4000

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Either your broadband is broken, or you're pinging something in the States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

3G is not a broadband connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

christ seaan with that high a ping Id say any online gaming is a nightmare.

As a poster said above if its 3g you have its not the best for gaming.If you have DSL BB there is something wrong with it.
    You really should have your pings down around the 30's give or take.I really notice the lag if my line goes above 100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

for me anything below 100 is quite alright, but you'd get the odd lag, anything under 60 is grand, no lag at all unless you have spike jumps

but for me anything over 100 is unbearable

I don't have a problem with anything under 300. Granted it can be a tad choppy it's not bad. Over that gets really annoying. Overb 1000 unplayable.
    3081372049.png

Seaaan wrote: »
    Granted it can be a tad choppy it's not bad.
    No seaaan its bad :) trust me :)

In relation to your OP,BF4 would be unplayable,you'd loose every 1vs1 encounter.

• Advertisement

There's a reason I've always been a solo gamer ;D Sigh, LoL and single player games for life.. Screw 3 broadbands horrendous speeds!

Just do what I did Seaaan - I used to live in Mayo where there were no proper tubes, then I got better and moved to Dublin :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Jesus, if my ping was consistently over 20 Id be ringing my ISP to report a fault :lol:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Not only would it be almost unplayable you'd likely get kicked from most servers and be accused of lagging.

People often confuse speed with latency, you're not sending/receiving a large amount of data but you want that data doing the round trip as quick as possible. So a 2Mb line at 10ms ping is infinitely better than a 100Mb line at 200ms.

I remember one time a friend with mobile 'broadband' was trying to play the L4D2 beta with us. He has a 1000ms ping and resulted in endless hilarity for us at least. We had to put him down at one stage to revive him with a defibrillator, poor bastard hadn't a clue what was going on.

Are 3 broadband allowed to get away with such **** speeds? Anything I can do about it?

Unfortunately yes :( You can always move.

I live in a very remote area :( 3 are the only that'll provide.. 'broadband'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Sorry to butt in and all jokes aside i just checked mine and i have 25ms is this ok?

weiland79 wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in and all jokes aside i just checked mine and i have 25ms is this ok?

thats fine.
    Just bear in mind that where the server is plays a big part too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

My ping sits at between 30 - 52. Anything above 200 there's a problem somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Stuart085

Mobile and Satallite broadband are not for gaming. DSL (UPC) and ADSL (Sky, Eircom, Vodafone) will vary in speed but not in latency. You should always get a good ping with fixed broadband. WiFi can skew this somewhat, so you can only fairly test your broadband with the PC connected via ethernet to the router.

Advertisement