Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Soundproofing

Options
  • 05-11-2013 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any previous experience soundproofing in their home?

Basically, I've a water-press that's powered by a small but pretty loud pump.Anytime anyone uses the water it goes off. it's sitting in a small cupboard with just the immersion tank next to it and it's all relatively hollow.

I'm hoping to pad out the press and see if there's anything I can do to mute or even just dull the sound. I had previously considered attic insulation (fibreglass) or something like that, but I'm afraid it'll clog up the pump.

Just hoping someone else might have had a similar problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

first thing to look at is what is it bolted to - resonance is the worst noise

make sure its rubber mounted first

then any dense insulation product would work -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

be carefull also how u cover it. ull be tempted maybe to cover it up tight wiht some material. I have read the can become fire hazzards then. Agree on the vibrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

tred wrote: »
    be carefull also how u cover it. ull be tempted maybe to cover it up tight wiht some material. I have read the can become fire hazzards then. Agree on the vibrations.

Sorry - should have mentioned fire hazard

Make sure any insulation complies with fire regs and you follow the pump manufacture's instructions on if it needs free flowing air etc for cooling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Gravedig wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any previous experience soundproofing in their home?

Basically, I've a water-press that's powered by a small but pretty loud pump.Anytime anyone uses the water it goes off. it's sitting in a small cupboard with just the immersion tank next to it and it's all relatively hollow.

I'm hoping to pad out the press and see if there's anything I can do to mute or even just dull the sound. I had previously considered attic insulation (fibreglass) or something like that, but I'm afraid it'll clog up the pump.

Just hoping someone else might have had a similar problem?

Could you build a small box using timber and plasterboard?

One layer of fireproof plasterboard on the inside and 2 layers of soundblock plasterboard on the outside. Would certainly dull the sound of it and could be taken off at any time.

Advertisement