Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling English

Options
  • 04-11-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I'm really stuck on how to study for English. Last year I used to write one essay per poet learn it off and then fit it into any title that came up in tests but I never got an excellent mark! Is there anyway to study for English excluding learning an essay off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mirror Image

I used to struggle at English. C3 to D2 mostly. This year for poetry I took a new approach and planned each essay out.(Say imagery, Id pick out images and write them along with a short explanation on a refill page) Id work through the page and expand on the points. This brought my grade up to A2 level, and I have a certain aspect of a poet on a refill page or two for future revision.

This may or may not help you, but I can expand or clarify any of my points if you don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Definitely do not learn anything off. Questions in English can be quite specific and a one size fits all approach is not suitable. It's also blatantly obvious to an examiner if you've attempted to "force" and answer to suit a question.

As the above poster said, preparation is key. For any of the longer questions (50+ marks) try to do a small plan. I used to think this was a redundant idea but then every so often I'd hit a wall a page and a half in and it's just too risky an approach as if you "crash" on exam day, you're in a bad situation.

My plan is usually 5-8 lines of information so I have a vague idea how my piece will progress. I stress vague as the plan's primary purpose is to collect your thoughts.

For poetry, I try to dissect each poem after doing it. The notes in A New Anthology of Poetry are fantastic and I find reading their analysis after having studied it yourself is hugely beneficial to your comprehension of the piece. It's time-consuming, but you'll reap the rewards if you put in some effort now.

Advertisement