Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiming lessons for a disaster

Options
  • 04-11-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Can anyone help here... I am kinda terrified of the water... Its an irrational fear I know.. brought on by near drowning death experience when I was a kid.. I cant make any sense of it.. I just panic if my head is under the water..... anyway I have my 3 children in swim classes at the moment as Dont want them to miss out or be affraid like myself.. Is there anywhere anyone can reccomend to learn.. My children are progressing well and last year on hols I was a bit embarrassed when my son got upset when I told him I didnt want to swim with him.. He though I was annoyed at him for some reason.. As I have told him before on many swim lessons"theres nothing too it and not to be affraid".. I dont want to be a liar!
    J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

I would go for private lessons first, and once you get comfortable enough you should go for group lessons. When I teach nervous beginners like yourself, I would always get into the water with them, just to keep them at ease. Make sure if you go for private lessons you get the instructor in the water.

This is quite a common problem here in Ireland, we have generations of people who are just terrified of the water. Once you get going you will be fascinated with swimming, I almost spent a whole lesson just looking under water with my client, as she was so amazed by looking under water as she had never done it before.

Advertisement