Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wooden tool chest

Options
  • 04-11-2013 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi I'm doing my leaving cert next year and in construction we are choosing our projects and I have chosen a wooden tool chest. The problem is I have to do a portfolio on it and the portfolio and project has to fit into a certain category. Furniture or heritage. My teacher says my chest is not furniture, leaving heritage, and I can not find info about wooden tool chests in heritage. If anyone has any information on or knows where to get information on old wooden tool chests I would greatly appricate your help. I will attach a image of the chest I am going to make.
    Thanks
    Matthew

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'd say if it was a tool chest like this http://www.wimp.com/toolchest/ :D or any kind of tool chest even medical that was passed from father to son as it was done in the day it would have heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

That looks like a Gerstener Toolbox in your picture, still made today in Ohio. Seen many a one on my travels, nicely made.

The book listed below is a treaure trove of information, albeit with a US slant ( though it does look at some of the boxes early European immigrants brought to the States)

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Toolbox-Jim-Tolpin/9781561582723?redirected=true&gclid=CK7tm8Lwy7oCFSg72wodS0YAjg

If you are looking for an Irish slant you might contact the National Museum and tell them you are interested in woodworkers/carpenters/shipwrights tool boxes. They are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've read that toolbox box by Tolpin and I'd agree that it would be a good starting point for your project, it discusses the design and evolution of toolboxes and chests with plenty of good photos and line drawings. I have 3 old toolboxes myself, one belonging to my grandfather, another belonging to his brother and a larger chest which belonged to their father (my great grandfather)- plenty of heritage there! Chris Schwarz's box the "The Anarchist's Toolchest" would be worth a read also, although his "humour" and writing style might not appeal to everyone. The resurgence of interest in hand tools and traditional techniques will surely see increased interest in tool chests and boxes into the future.

Advertisement