Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using two router in one home

Options
  • 04-11-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice on whether this can be done.
    I have my main router connected to the internet upstairs, this is then connected to a LAN port which feeds another LAN port beside the TV downstairs.

I Have another router setup here to act as a switch which serves sky box, xbox and ps3 (wifi is broken on ps3).

I would like the 2nd router to also act as a WiFi range extender and the coverage is very bad and patchy downstairs. However, the 2nd router doesn't work like that most of the time, I'm guessing that is conflicting with the upstairs router for bandwidth signal??

Both routers are netgear, main one is a dual band DGND3700 and 2nd router is WGR614 v7.

Sometimes, a phone/tablet/laptop can connect no problem, then other times they wont connect at all and i have to unplug the 2nd router and try walking around to get a signal :mad:

So, is there anyway that i can have both routers working at the same time, with the 2nd router acting as a switch and a range extender?? some changes that i need to change in either router that will make this work?

thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Possible options are connect them wirelessly via WDS or client bridge. The availability of these options can vary, or you may need to look at installing improved firmware such as DD-WRT or OpenWRT if possible. Alternately, install home plugs to connect the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Turn off dhcp & firewall on 2nd router and assign a non-conflicting fixed ip to it. Connect 2nd router to your primary router using a LAN port connection on each (do not connect to WAN port!)
    Configure wireless on your 2nd router (ssid/channel/security) and you should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

Thanks for the replies guys, turning DHCP off on the 2nd router seemed to have worked.
    The 2nd router is now working as a switch for sky, xbox etc....and also working as a separate wifi network, which means that i now have different wifi network for upstairs and downstairs.

Not sure if this can be change so that its one 'continuous' network throughout the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

sandt wrote: »

Not sure if this can be change so that its one 'continuous' network throughout the house?

Try setting the SSID and security settings on the 2nd router to be the same as on your primary router.

Advertisement