Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do I keep getting that I don't "look Irish"?

Options
  • 04-11-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I'm currently living in America, and everyone keeps telling me I don't look Irish. I get a load of people thinking I'm Bulgarian or something. I've black hair, blue eyes. My heritage as far back as I can trace it is 100% Irish. What's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Bet you the people saying that couldnt point out bulgaria on a map, dont get your knickers in a twist.
    Just because an american cant tell your nationality shouldnt knock your self identity!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Americas vision of an Irish guy is someone with red hair, drunk all the time and fighting, if you don't match this outdated and quiet frankly racist stereotype then they don't believe you're Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

OP, do you not carry your shillelagh with you when you're out and about over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

It must be the shillelagh, I'll have to start bringing that around with me ha. Cheers lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Americans used to ask me was I Australian and I'd say no Im Irish but as a Canadian I wouldnt expect you to know that.

Totally fcuks them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Blame Maureen bloody O'Hara and the bloody Quiet Man film. Ignorant Americans just presume that that is how all Irish people are supposed to look. I got it all the time too, because I don't have flaming red hair. There's no avoiding it. Just put up with it, or ignore it as there is no overcoming the power of that stupid film. Bah humbug ! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Americans used to ask me was I Australian and I'd say no Im Irish but as a Canadian I wouldnt expect you to know that.

Totally fcuks them up.

I've gotten Australian a few times too! I've even been accused of "faking the accent". Holy **** what!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I've gotten Australian and oddly enough French (wtf?!?!)

My wife is Catalan, and gets the "what part of mexico are you from?" or "I know an argentine accent when I hear one...". The funniest (for me, not for her) was when we when a muslim came into her hospital and gave out to her in Arab about something. Turns out he thought she was Moroccan and got offended when she wasn't wearing hijab.

People tend to see and hear what they want to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Most of the time I get English, South Africa or Scotland quite a bit. Many get it right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

I am in real estate and meet people in the office all the time, some guess I'm Irish but a lot think I'm english. I'm blonde & blue eyed and I had one man asked me if I was german!!!!
    I was told I don't sound Irish but I politely tell its just that they are used to crappy stereotypical Darby O'Gill Irish accents. I had another guy who's "Irish came on the coffin ships" ask me " what's your real name "because I don't have an Irish first name my surname is typically Irish he thought I was using a fake first name for the office.

The best was a group of schoolkids were travelling as a band to take part in the St Patricks day parade a parent overseeing the trip asked if the Asian & African American kids who stand out!!! I am not kidding!!! I honestly do not know what people think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

The funniest (for me, not for her) was when we when a muslim came into her hospital and gave out to her in Arab about something. Turns out he thought she was Moroccan and got offended when she wasn't wearing hijab.

The language you're probably referring to is Arabic... but then Berber, French and, you're wife's Spanish (I doubt she only speaks Catalan!) are all well understood in Morocco.

They also don't go in for hijabs, or any head scarfs. Actually they frown upon them. The king wears a Western business suit. Girls on the beach wear bikinis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Stojkovic wrote: »

Totally fcuks them up.

The Irish always think I'm Canadian or Spanish. Some have even come out with Apache.

I tell them no I'm American. Then sometimes they say, yeah but really, where are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

fleet wrote: »
    The language you're probably referring to is Arabic... but then Berber, French and, you're wife's Spanish (I doubt she only speaks Catalan!) are all well understood in Morocco.

They also don't go in for hijabs, or any head scarfs. Actually they frown upon them. The king wears a Western business suit. Girls on the beach wear bikinis...

I saw plenty of women in Morocco wearing Hijab, especially during Ramadan when we were there (which was coincidently the time of year the guy spoke to her). It was Arabic that she was spoken to, while here in the USA - and yes she speaks spanish, however he wouldn't have seen her name badge.

You're (while we're correcting things) right, it is one of the more liberal states but even the most liberal can get religious during Ramadan

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Wouldn't worry about it too much, I live in Ireland and get told I look Greek/Spanish even though i'm pale as a ghost and also have black hair/blue eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

little to worry about !

Advertisement