Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are smartphones really worth it?

Options
  • 04-11-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Am thinking of getting one, but am wondering if all those extra features are really worth it. I mean are they value for money or just a gimmick?

I realise it depends on what you will use it for, but do you find they are value for money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Do you use buses or the Dart? Being able to access realtime data on public transport is one very good reason to have a smartphone. Depending on your preferences, you can also access e-mail, news, stock prices, sports results etc. etc. on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

To you what would you use the phone for?

Do you need to make calls and send texts ?

It that is just it then no dont bother.

If you would like / need access to emails / internet and possibly play some games if commuting on the train/bus then a smartphone is a valuable addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

If you work in a job unsupervised like a security guard on a night shift, they certainly can be a good anchor for youtube videos etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Features on smart phones range from useful to fun to pointless. I personally get a kick out of fancy technology so I love my smartphone. As coylemj said being able to access bus times is handy. I also like having gps on my phone if I'm trying to find my way to somewhere I've never been to.

One thing to note is that if you don't have any credit / data allowance on the smartphone then it's less useful than a brick. Most of the really useful apps require net access so you'll want a plan where you get some kind of data allowance - for example if I top up by €20 I get free meteor-to-meteor calls and texts and a certain amount of megabytes per day in net usage before it starts eating into the actual credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

thehouses wrote: »
    Am thinking of getting one, but am wondering if all those extra features are really worth it. I mean are they value for money or just a gimmick?

I used to be firmly in the "All i want from my phone is to make calls and send texts dammnit!" camp but in fairness there's no way I would go back now!

Personally I use it for music, web browsing, email a multitude of apps that I never thought I would have had a need for and even just as a portable usb stick when I need to.

I love smartphones now and im still rocking a 4 year old samsung galaxy 1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I liken it to having a car.

Before you had a car you walked everywhere or got the bus/train and all was fine.

Then you got a car, it costs a lot to run, you don't need it all the time but but you could never go without it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Personally, I think that question is very dependent on your age and usage factors, OP.

If you think that you would never use it, that you would only make basic phone calls and text messages, as some of the other poster said, Then a smartphone may not be required for you. However, if you were in a younger age group, if many of your friends and family use online social media services, or as one poster said, use public transport, then the benefits outweigh the drawbacks: you could probably find a smartphone very beneficial.

The one thing you need to look at is spending range: for example, there's no point buying an iPhone, worth hundreds of euros, if you're not going to use it to its full potential. At the same time, An Android device may not be suited to you if it is on the lower spectrum of things, as you may need a phone with a little bit more power, Only found by spending a little bit more. Many of the Android devices (read: any smartphone that isn't from Apple) work better when they cost a little bit more, typically over a €100.

Maybe you can have some of these questions, OP, and let us help you more with your selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

Thanks for your replies. I think I will wait a bit before I get one. They are pretty cool though, but I don't need the extra features just yet.

Advertisement