Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

negative pregnancy test but pregnant

Options
  • 04-11-2013 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I know I am definitely pregnant, I have a pregnant bump and can feel very powerful foetal movement, so this makes me at least around three to four months pregnant. Here's the strange thing: my doctor doesn't believe me because my pregnancy test is still negative. Can I still make an appointment as a public patient in a maternity hospital without proof? I am worried because I know I am in a high risk group, I am over 40 and have had a stillbirth in the past, but also three healthy pregnancies so I know what it feels like either way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I know that pregnancy tests stop working at a certain point but it would be later than this afaik... Did your doctor examine your abdomen? Go back, be insistent and if they won't give you a referral speak to a doctor who will.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm not sure if you can, did your doc just give you the one test? Do you have tests you've done at home to support your belief? Surely at this stage if the doc doesn't believe you are actually pregnant he or she has looked at another reason why your suddenly getting bigger :confused:

Would you pay for a private scan to be sure?

For the record I was the same, I was almost 4 months gone before it was confirmed, I'd done about 6 hpt's that all came back negative so it can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Maire1970 wrote: »
    I know I am definitely pregnant, I have a pregnant bump and can feel very powerful foetal movement, so this makes me at least around three to four months pregnant. Here's the strange thing: my doctor doesn't believe me because my pregnancy test is still negative. Can I still make an appointment as a public patient in a maternity hospital without proof? I am worried because I know I am in a high risk group, I am over 40 and have had a stillbirth in the past, but also three healthy pregnancies so I know what it feels like either way.

I just made my hospital appointment (holles street) myself over the phone, they only asked me the first day of last period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Why didn't the doctor do the blood test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Ask doctor to take HCG bloods.

Some hospitals take self referrals, ring your choice and ask them if they do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

+1 to the 2 previous posts. Surely you can request your GP to do a blood test for HCG which would definitely confirm whether you are pregnant or not....

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had been doing home tests for a while and they were all negative so I knew the doctors test would be negative. I didnt ask for blood test and the doctor didnt suggest it. He examined me as in he pressed on my abdomen and he doesnt believe it because it is soft where he thinks it should be hard. However I know that is just because I'm a little overweight and have a bit of fat in that area. I dont know why the test would be negative, I'm sure there is some scientific reason. He suggested having an ultrasound done privately to see what the "abdominal mass" is because he said I would be waiting six months to a year on the public system. I said that didnt make sense because if I were pregnant I would probably have the baby by then. He pressed on my belly and said "that is not a pregnancy". I know better because I have had four pregnancies, one of which was stillborn as I previously mentioned. I know it is not just a cyst/tumor/blockage etc for two reasons - 1. I have no pain, bleeding or symptoms of illness and 2. it is kicking. The "abominal mass" is growing in the same way as my other pregnancies did. I feel fine but I have high blood pressure and would need to change my current medication. I will probably chance making a public appointment or else have a private scan. If I keep on doing home tests will it eventually be positive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 minnnie

Why did he not just do a beta hCG test? You would know the next day.

I had been doing home tests for a while and they were all negative so I knew the doctors test would be negative. I didnt ask for blood test and the doctor didnt suggest it. He examined me as in he pressed on my abdomen and he doesnt believe it because it is soft where he thinks it should be hard. However I know that is just because I'm a little overweight and have a bit of fat in that area. I dont know why the test would be negative, I'm sure there is some scientific reason. He suggested having an ultrasound done privately to see what the "abdominal mass" is because he said I would be waiting six months to a year on the public system. I said that didnt make sense because if I were pregnant I would probably have the baby by then. He pressed on my belly and said "that is not a pregnancy". I know better because I have had four pregnancies, one of which was stillborn as I previously mentioned. I know it is not just a cyst/tumor/blockage etc for two reasons - 1. I have no pain, bleeding or symptoms of illness and 2. it is kicking. The "abominal mass" is growing in the same way as my other pregnancies did. I feel fine but I have high blood pressure and would need to change my current medication. I will probably chance making a public appointment or else have a private scan. If I keep on doing home tests will it eventually be positive?

Probably not, I don't see why you don't go back to your doctor and ask for bloods to be taken. If you're certain your pregnant then you'd know for sure the next day. Get onto your chosen hospital immediately if you need to get your meds changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I can't believe the doctor didn't do a blood test! I would be changing doctor regardless! Where are you based Mairie, could you get a private scan done? I'm having a scan tomorrow with Baby Scan in Ballincollig and I just booked it through their website.

Or go to a different doctor and ask for a blood test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Would a blood test give me a definite answer? I'll probably do that or a private scan.

Would a blood test give me a definite answer? I'll probably do that or a private scan.

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Usually, but not always. HCG can sometimes be positive with no pregnancy. Older women have a higher level of HCG, some medical conditions can cause higher HCG.

Scan AND blood test would be conclusive.

Advertisement