Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAO Stillorgan - 5% Service Charge for ALL covers

Options
  • 03-11-2013 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

I hate Service Charges at the best of times
    - it makes no sense to me
    - surely, it is an incentive to make staff work better if the public are able to give a tip if they so desire. I do if its warranted.
    - but if a restaurant opens its doors to serve food and drink then surely they have costed this and their price is adjusted accordingly.
    - how they can add an extra 5% for ANYONE who sits in the restaurant to eat and 10% for parties of more than 6 (the mind boggles why this should have a higher charge) but an extra 5% just to sit in the restaurant to eat (with pretty bad service I must admit).
    - for that reason, I will NOT be going back.

- we should have some sort of website that highlights restaurants who charge service charges - name and shame restaurant.

Arg!!

http://www.cafemao.com/restaurant/pdf_menus/mao-restaurant-main-menu-june-2013.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

I guarantee you the staff don't get the 5%.

Same is the case in TGIs and Hard Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭karlitob

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    I guarantee you the staff don't get the 5%.

Same is the case in TGIs and Hard Rock.

So I believe from other threads - which makes it worse. Its just fairly frustrating - feels like you're being taken for a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

karlitob wrote: »
    - surely, it is an incentive to make staff work better if the public are able to give a tip if they so desire. I do if its warranted.
    But you can still tip if you want. I would never presume this goes as some sort of bonus to the staff.

I just view it like ryanair, or ticketmaster or anyplace that likes to tell you there supposed costs for whatever reason. They could have "rent 3%, insurance 2%" etc, all added on. Of course I would just like to see the price clearly spelt out. If I had a restaurant I would consider banning tipping, in the US some places have, I would simply have on the menu "Tipping is strongly discouraged, our employees are paid a fair wage and aware of our policy at the time of employment".

It just encourages the black market untaxed economy.

I never got why it is a percentage either, like charging 10% on both a €500 and €20 bottle of wine, is it really worth the extra €48 of effort to open the expensive one.

And why is it 10% for large parties, I would have thought it is more efficient to go out with food for 8 all at once.

If each person is spending €30, then if you have 7 people it is €10.50 for the table. 1 extra person comes along and its €24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/price_display_of_goods_and_services.html
    Price display for Food in Restaurants, Cafés and Hotels
    If you visit a restaurant you can reasonably expect to be informed about their prices for food. The Retail Prices (Food in Catering Establishments) Display Order, 1984 requires the owners to display a comprehensive price list of food items. This law applies to all hotels, pubs, restaurants, cafés, etc. that offer food for sale and consumption on the premises. This notice should be visible immediately outside or inside where the food is being served. In the case of a hotel or a licensed premises where food is served in some areas, the notice can be displayed either at the entrance to the premises or at the entrance to the catering area. Any extra charges that apply (such as service charges etc) must be stated clearly on the notice too.
    Its strange that the law is specific about it being clear to read & find the sign, yet no requirement for it being clear to understand, i.e. they require you to do maths, and then they have to have this calculation in their computers/tills too, totally unnecessary rigmarole.

• Advertisement

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Hey
    I singled them out as its the first place that I've been to that has a 5% charge to sit down regardless of how many people eat. Usually its on parties >6 people. Even then, it can vary between 'discretionary' or not.

I'm disgusted at the 5% to sit in what is essentially a fancier take away. Its not michelin starred or a restaurant that had a head chef who designs a menu and changes it when the seasons change. Its just like Eddie Rockets.

I agree with your last statement also - thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you think that's bad, last time I checked O'Briens charge an extra € per sandwich/roll to "eat in"

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Wickerman1

Some places accumilate any additional tips into one pot, subtract the cost of any breakages and divide the remainder amongst all staff including management & owners!

A waiter/waitress getting tips left for them for their good service seldom happens unfortunately!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AFAIK the MAO in dundrum SC is the same, but they're not the only restaurant that do it.

Wickerman1 wrote: »
    A waiter/waitress getting tips left for them for their good service seldom happens unfortunately!

I really don't think thats true but again they are paid a wage - its not like the US - lots of lower paid jobs do not have access to tips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

karlitob wrote: »
    10% for parties of more than 6 (the mind boggles why this should have a higher charge)[/url]

Yes, this is moronic - it goes against economic reasoning.

It shouts, we really don't want to be troubled by large groups of paying customers. :rolleyes:

you think that's bad, last time I checked O'Briens charge an extra € per sandwich/roll to "eat in"

I don't mind that as such as the eat-in price and the take away price is the same but the eat-in charge is E per sandwich. Like when you go to Europe. Cover charge is E2 or something and your get bread and water or it costs more to sit outside or something like that. In Mao, the take away menu is cheaper than the sit down menu - thats what you pay for - then they add 5% on top of that.

And as an aside, the take away menu is very good value for what you get.

Advertisement