Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centra Shepherds Pie - €15

Options
  • 03-11-2013 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

Obviously didn't buy this, but was just stunned at the price!

It didn't give the weight but it was around 1kg.

There was two there and both were €15, one of the most overpriced items of food I've ever seen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

There seems to be more than one pie in that photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

If it was a single portion pie at 2.50 would you call it value? cos that what dunnes charge for a 200g piece of frozen muck made in some far flung factory

Why do people bend the truth when they obviously have a gripe about a retailer/

why why why??

What did the retailer do on you for you to tell such sh1te???

The TRUTH is it is a six portion extra large fresh locally made sherperd's pie with decent ingredients - and seeing as I have seen them and friends in mallow have had foods from them (I'm assuming its Herlihy's of cork you are talking about), €15 for what would give a good feed to 4 adults or a lunch feed to 2 adults and 4 kids is great value.

My guess is it is about 1.5kg - and bloody great value. But maybe you prefer cheap frozen sh1te rather than quality traceable locally produced foods.?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Heres a pdf of it, confirming its supposed to be 6 portions as mentioned

http://www.herlihycentra.ie/docs/catering_12pp_booklet.pdf

on the page numbered 8, (page 9 of the pdf)

tesco finest 400g is 4.59,

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=279899096

cully & sully 400g is 4.99
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268991164

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Interesting I think it's around par though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Might give that a try, thanks OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

should the label not say what type of mince?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

We have a Herlihy's in my town and I have to say the food is excellent. I know people that work there and the food is made on site and they use top quality ingredients. I don't consider €15 dear for a portion that serves 6, course it's more expensive than if you made it yourself, but that's always the way with convenience food. €2.50 per portion for a really good quality shepards pie is NOT a rip off!

kooga wrote: »
    should the label not say what type of mince?

It is likely that there is a second label that lists the ingredients and has cooking instructions.

Having said that, it shouldn't come as a surprise what the mince is. It wouldn't be a 'Shepherds Pie' otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,147 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Having said that, it shouldn't come as a surprise what the mince is. It wouldn't be a 'Shepherds Pie' otherwise...

In Ireland both Shepherds Pie and Cottage Pie get used to refer to either lamb or beef mince pretty much interchangeable and also nearly always beef in food service environments.

They call it a Cottage Pie in their own PDF menu there and Shepherds Pie on the sticker for instance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I've never had this pie, I couldn't say if it's a rip off or not without knowing the ratio of potato/mince. There would have to be a seriously generous helping of meat & veg for me to buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

There is not a chance you could get 6 reasonable portions out of this. Not a chance.

It's something people need to see in person tbh, the picture doesn't do it justice in terms of how small it is.

I showed it to a few friends and they were all shocked at the price. I got chatting to a staff member and asked him if he thought it was maybe a misprice and even he agreed that there's no way it's worth €15 and that he'd get people to look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

This same type of pie is I sale in super value for 5.99

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    This same type of pie is I sale in super value for 5.99

Same size?

Yes same size.. I've bought it before get 4/5 decent portions out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Make it yourself... Shepards Pie is one of the easiest dishes to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Yes same size.. I've bought it before get 4/5 decent portions out of it

Not possible as herliheys mske this themselves fresh each day with locally sourced ingredients.

The large super valu version is mass produced, no source regarding any of the ingredients either.

Btw herliheys are a centra shop which is the same overall group as super valu.

sandin wrote: »
    Not possible as herliheys mske this themselves fresh each day with locally sourced ingredients.

The large super valu version is mass produced, no source regarding any of the ingredients either.

Btw herliheys are a centra shop which is the same overall group as super valu.

That's why I said the same TYPE of pie. Not the exact same pie... My local Supervalu makes these meals in store. Shepards pie, pasta bake , chicken curry etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That's why I said the same TYPE of pie. Not the exact same pie.
    I thought you might have meant the same pie too, especially after you said it was the same size, as the OP had only guessed the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Time consuming .... 20 minutes preparation and 40-50 minutes cooking time max.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/easy_shepherds_pie/

I make it all the time, dead simple.

• Advertisement

Currently the €6 two portion Shepherds pie is in the oven after a journey from bishopstown to kildare.

The two portion pack weighs in at 800g - PLENTY for two people.

The €15 six portion dish is huge. Its about 8cm deep and weighs in at 2.5 kilos!!! - about 6.5 pounds in old language.

If anything, this should be in bargain alerts.

Edit - it is DELICIOUS!!! definitely will be getting it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sandin wrote: »
    Currently the €6 two portion Shepherds pie is in the oven after a journey from bishopstown to kildare.

The two portion pack weighs in at 800g - PLENTY for two people.

The €15 six portion dish is huge. Its about 8cm deep and weighs in at 2.5 kilos!!! - about 6.5 pounds in old language.

If anything, this should be in bargain alerts.
    It is listed in their "Catering Range".

here's a pic of it just before it was shared between myself and a very hungry four legged princess (wife is a veggie)- and she licked her lips for about 10 minutes afterwards. That's her way of giving it five stars!

Seriously good - no preservatives or other crap. Just like your mum made all those years ago.

Advertisement