Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Beginner needs tips on how to improve cv

Options
  • 03-11-2013 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi, I'm currently studying a year long conversion course in software development and I am learning java at the minute. I'm only a beginner at java at the moment but I want to do some stuff outside my course to show that I have an interest in learning and practicing java but not sure where to start. I was looking at open source projects but have been reading that they're not really recommended for java beginners like myself so I was wondering if anyone else had any advice on how I could improve my java skills and to do something that would look good to employers on my cv! Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

KoA-Ollie wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently studying a year long conversion course in software development and I am learning java at the minute. I'm only a beginner at java at the moment but I want to do some stuff outside my course to show that I have an interest in learning and practicing java but not sure where to start. I was looking at open source projects but have been reading that they're not really recommended for java beginners like myself so I was wondering if anyone else had any advice on how I could improve my java skills and to do something that would look good to employers on my cv! Thanks!!

A simple android application would be a good idea. Consume a web service, plot some stuff on a map/chart/graph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

At least you've recognised you need to do something to make you stand out from your peers and that's a good start

An obvious one is to work on some OpenSource project - adding the line "Committer on xxxx project" to your CV is worth a lot. If you look at SourceForge, for example, you'll see lots of requests for help.

And don't forget to show social responsibility - mentor at your local CoderDojo (and you'll learn loads from the kids), or help in one of the many teach-an-older-person-computing things running up & down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

bpmurray wrote: »
    At least you've recognised you need to do something to make you stand out from your peers and that's a good start

An obvious one is to work on some OpenSource project - adding the line "Committer on xxxx project" to your CV is worth a lot. If you look at SourceForge, for example, you'll see lots of requests for help.

And don't forget to show social responsibility - mentor at your local CoderDojo (and you'll learn loads from the kids), or help in one of the many teach-an-older-person-computing things running up & down the country.

We shouldn't really be encouraging such new developers to commit to open source projects so early. All you are doing is creating headaches for the maintainers.

Advertisement