Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESC query

Options
  • 03-11-2013 8:16pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A new model I'm looking at recommends a 20-30A ESC.

Would fitting a 40A ESC cause any issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

No, 40A means it's rated up to 40 amps current, so will easily handle the lower currents listed for your model. The 40A one might be a little bit heavier is the only possible problem, but you're probably only talking about 10grams or less of a difference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You should verify that the voltage of the bigger ESC is the same as your existing one.
    If it said a different voltage (or number of cells) that would be a problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Thanks Coolwings.

I should explain that this ESC is for a new model - An ARF Bixler 2. I removed it from a damaged Acro Wot Foam E (which will repair).

I could buy a new 20 or 30A ESC for relatively little, but I figured why not use the one I already have?

I'll be using the same lipos incidentally - 2200mAh 3s.

The electric motors themselves are different obviously - The Acro wot has a 820kv motor, and the Bixler a 1300kv unit.

I'll be putting the Bixler together during next week, so what do you think on using the 40A ESC?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Thanks Coolwings.

I should explain that this ESC is for a new model - An ARF Bixler 2. I removed it from a damaged Acro Wot Foam E (which will repair).

I could buy a new 20 or 30A ESC for relatively little, but I figured why not use the one I already have?

I'll be using the same lipos incidentally - 2200mAh 3s.

The electric motors themselves are different obviously - The Acro wot has a ???kv motor, and the Bixler a 1300kv unit.

I'll be putting the Bixler together during next week, so what do you think on using the 40A ESC?

Not sure of acro wots motor.

Bixler flew pretty well. 2 good flights on Thursday in a fairly stiff wind. Hand launches and landings were pretty good.

I reinforced with hollow wing spar with a 3 or 4 millimetre carbon rod since. Should reduce the reflexing a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement