Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract rearing calves

Options
  • 03-11-2013 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Has anyone here/know anyone who has got drop calves contract reared? Is it a good idea? Cost? Advantages & disadvantage? Beef breed calves!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I know a man that will contract rear my few fr heifer calves , how could we set the payment They would be at least 3 months old when he takes them and weaned . Scales is available for weighing , should €1 cover it until housing time or how could we tie payment to weight gain eg.€200 for 120 kg weight gain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

farmers101 wrote: »
    Has anyone here/know anyone who has got drop calves contract reared? Is it a good idea? Cost? Advantages & disadvantage? Beef breed calves!!

Guy buying calves from me sending to rearer at 1 week approx. I will quiz him on the charge per day.

I dint know if he'll tell me but I'll ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

cute geoge wrote: »
    I know a man that will contract rear my few fr heifer calves , how could we set the payment They would be at least 3 months old when he takes them and weaned . Scales is available for weighing , should €1 cover it until housing time or how could we tie payment to weight gain eg.€200 for 120 kg weight gain

Anyone contract rearing calves for €1 is a busy fool.
    There was a thread recently and a fair price was well above that.

At €1 were back to lads with large SFP living of their payments and doing something to be doing something.

Dairy men getting this done for that low money must be laughing till their sides burst.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 O2b

I would think €2 a kg would be fair ; from weight on taking calf to farm to second housing. Anything other than that wouldnt be worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 charleysurf

just finishing up with my contract rearer. used to rear my replacement for 4 years. from two weeks old to a month before breeding £1.25 a calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

just finishing up with my contract rearer. used to rear my replacement for 4 years. from two weeks old to a month before breeding £1.25 a calf.

What costs were included in the 1.25?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 charleysurf

the rearer incurred most of the costs (maverick, meal, fluke, blackleg, vet) I covered tb testing, vaccination and we went 50/50 with ration over the winter. it wasn't a perfect system but it took the pressure off me for a couple of year while I was setting up the farm.

Advertisement