Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing his bedroom...

Options
  • 03-11-2013 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I know this problem might seem trivial, but it is causing me untold stress and I would really appreciate comments or help.

Myself and my partner are together 3yrs - he now lives with me and his kids stay over most weekends (8yr old girl, 15yr old boy). I have a 12yr old boy. Small two bed house.

Myslef and my partner have moved into the smaller bedroom so that the kids could have a larger room. The 15yr old sleeps downstairs on a sofabed and the 8yr old in the top bunk in the larger room, with my son. It's not ideal, but the best we can do.

Recently, I decided to decorate that larger room, getting them 2 single beds with a room-divider thingy I bought in Ikea...the room looks great, and when my partners daughter isn't here, the screen comes away and my son has his room back to himself and can have his mates over etc. When my partners daughter is here, the screen goes up and she feels she has her privacy and plays with her toys on that side etc...

So this is the problem.

The girl has decided she is a 1D fan (this week) and wants a 1D duvet cover and wants to put up posters etc (her bedroom at home isn't like this as her mother won't allow posters etc). My partner thinks this is great, and that we should get her these things to make her feel like she's welcome in my home (she IS welcome).

My son is having a slight breakdown about the idea of any 1D stuff in what he calls 'his' bedroom.....

This stupid situation is causing many arguments between me and my partner...on the one hand, I'm trying to get my son to understand that we are now part of a larger 'family' and have to share our space in different ways. On the other hand, I completely understand that any 12yr old boy would not be happy with 1D stuff in his room (even if it was his own sisters stuff)....

What to do??????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I don't think it's just 1D - it's his room is probably the problem. He's 12 and wants his own space. How about putting the posters on the divider - on her side of them. Then when she's there she has her posters and he can't even see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

The posters on the divider is a good idea.

If the divider folds so you couldn't do that, you could maybe buy poster frames to hang the posters on the wall. So when the daughter's not there you can turn them to face the wall so your son won't have to look at Harry & Co.'s faces all the time. :P Or Maybe put a poster he likes on the reverse side?

Also when she's away you could flip the duvet so the most likely plainer underside of the duvet is showing when your son has the room to himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Maybe ye could buy a few of these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/one-direction-canvas
    Ye can put hooks on the wall and put up the canvases when she's there and take them down when she leaves.
    As for the duvet you could put it away when she's not their and take it out when she calls over.

Advertisement