Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APT IMM24 timer turning heater off, freezing to death

Options
  • 03-11-2013 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all.

Moved to my new place yesterday and (smart me) didn't ask landlord how to operate this *insert cuss word of choice* heater controller.

Never seen this device before (APT IMM24 Immersion Heater Controller) nor anything similar, with these funky pull and push segment thingies...

Tried to contact the landlord several times but phones are off and not answering my texts. :-(
    Searched the net for HOURS since last night but came up with little info, some conflicting, and no tutorial or manual whatsoever... :-(

Seemed simple enough, I set the current time and the clock seems to work (is turning), lights go on and off...

All I want is the damned heaters in the apartment to go on and STAY on, but the one time I managed to get it to work last night... woke up hours later to find the damned thing had turned the heaters all off again! (it was set to ON and not CLOCK)

Please anyone who knows about this damned thing, could you give me a quick reply before hypothermia makes me lose my fingers!?!!!

Don't even care for saving energy at the moment just want the damned thing to leave my heaters on so I don't freeze to death! :-(

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Tapir wrote: »
    Hi all.

Moved to my new place yesterday and (smart me) didn't ask landlord how to operate this *insert cuss word of choice* heater controller.

Never seen this device before (APT IMM24 Immersion Heater Controller) nor anything similar, with these funky pull and push segment thingies...

Tried to contact the landlord several times but phones are off and not answering my texts. :-(
    Searched the net for HOURS since last night but came up with little info, some conflicting, and no tutorial or manual whatsoever... :-(

Seemed simple enough, I set the current time and the clock seems to work (is turning), lights go on and off...

All I want is the damned heaters in the apartment to go on and STAY on, but the one time I managed to get it to work last night... woke up hours later to find the damned thing had turned the heaters all off again! (it was set to ON and not CLOCK)

Please anyone who knows about this damned thing, could you give me a quick reply before hypothermia makes me lose my fingers!?!!!

Don't even care for saving energy at the moment just want the damned thing to leave my heaters on so I don't freeze to death! :-(

If it turned itself off while switch set to on, it may have developed a fault and needs looking at and maybe a replacement. Keep after the landlord and maybe buy a small space heater. They are always handy for such occasions.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tapir

Thanks for answering.

So... if the switch is on ON (not CLOCK) it should really leave my heaters on indefinitely, even if I had (in despair and utter confusion) previously rotated the dial and pressed and pulled the damned segment thingies? While on ON staying on regardless on segment thingies positions?

Was afraid that while trying to make the thing work I might've crated some timed settings that aren't overridden even if I leave the switch on ON... (as you see I'm utterly clueless on this damned device, if only the manufacturing company could've left a simple Instructions of use .pdf like most!!!) :-(

Where I live is a bit away from the city (and I got no car AND of course HAD to be a Sunday), VERY frustrating to be freezing with perfectly functioning heaters due to 1 puzzling piece if plastic. :-(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Thanks for answering.

So... if the switch is on ON (not CLOCK) it should really leave my heaters on indefinitely, even if I had (in despair and utter confusion) previously rotated the dial and pressed and pulled the damned segment thingies? While on ON staying on regardless on segment thingies positions?

Yes.

Did the light indicator on the timer indicate off when it switched off the heating that time you had it set to on?

Was afraid that while trying to make the thing work I might've crated some timed settings that aren't overridden even if I leave the switch on ON... (as you see I'm utterly clueless on this damned device, if only the manufacturing company could've left a simple Instructions of use .pdf like most!!!) :-(

Where I live is a bit away from the city (and I got no car AND of course HAD to be a Sunday), VERY frustrating to be freezing with perfectly functioning heaters due to 1 puzzling piece if plastic. :-(

Even though your timer is on, there may be a thermostat elsewhere overriding the heating.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Thanks again for trying to help <3

The light goes off when switched to OFF and is on when ON or CLOCK (although I'm not sure if last night the light was always on when I tried the CLOCK thing)...

I thought I might've broken it but the heating stopped again when I was asleep (and haven't pressed / pulled / switched much today)

Don't see any other thermostat anywhere, place's small and only other funky switch to turn on and off is by some water tank in the closet.

Running out of hot coffee :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Hi all.

Electricty storage heaters only heat up on night time cheaper Electricty if that's what you have ? And that's why they won't heat up.
    Or do your heaters look like standard radiators with pipes connected to the two bottom corners ?
    What do you have ?

• Advertisement

Thanks for answering =)

I got the standard ("accordion" looking) metal heaters with the pipes connecting to the two bottom corners. I'm familiar with those (even when they have some air bubble) and all 3 were warm last night.

Tried just now resetting everything (cutting the electricity to the timer then turning back on with timer on ON which from what I read should ignore the clock thingie and just HEAT dammit!) with no luck. =(

Ok got in touch with landlord and he's coming tomorrow, followed instructions / troubleshooting by phone but something is definitely wrong... one more night freezing I guess =(

Thanks to those who tried to help =)

Advertisement