Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't see Jupiter - What am I doing?!

Options
  • 03-11-2013 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm in Southern Germany at the moment with a Celestron NexStar 130SLT

I'm using a Barlow x2 and a Celestron 9mm with a crisp sky to view Jupiter and no matter how sharp I try to make the image, I'm not getting much more than a dot.

Now I'm not expecting to see a crisp view of the great red spot, but I should at least be able to distinguish that it's Jupiter? I am doing something wrong. Is there something I should consider with this setup? Is it not good enough to get a decent viewing or must I be doing something wrong?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Something sounds a little off alright.
    Try it without the 2x.
    Ensure you aren't pointed at a nearby star by making sure your finder is aligned with the main telescope.
    Do this during the day, on a stationary distant object.
    You should at least see a disc if you have Jupiter in the eyepiece.
    Unless the scope is out of collimation, but even if this were the case, it wouldn't just be a dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

It's definitely Jupiter alright. I have the eyepiece alligned and the co-ords correct, It's fairly distinct. Maybe a blob of light was a bad explaination. I can tell it's not a start through the scope, but it no way does it give me any detail. I'll give it a belt without the Barlow if the sky is clear tonight. Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Jupiter is alot harder to get a clear image of then saturn. Start off with the most distant image you can and slowly zoom in by changing your lenses-9mm may be too much depending on your scope?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

The 9mm eyepiece might be the problem too, if low quality it may not display Jupiter in great details or any at all. Also, the focal length and magnification might come into play.

Some good reading on Observing Jupiter here: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/3304326.html

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Drakares wrote: »
    I'm using a Barlow x2 and a Celestron 9mm with a crisp sky to view Jupiter and no matter how sharp I try to make the image, I'm not getting much more than a dot.
    I think your scope is pointing to a star rather to Jupiter.with 4.5mm you will get such a narrow FOV that I doubt your GOTO will be accurate to this degree...to be honest I doubt that even tracking would be up for it.
    Going to echo previous post that you should start with lower magnification and progressively go up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

With a 150 mm scope I usually start with 32 mm celestron eye piece, then add a 2 x Barlow and then up a couple more eye pieces up to about 12 mm. I don't find anything better than 12 mm adds any great detail for Jupiter. With 12 mm And 2 x Barlow I get a well formed disc and usually at least 2 distinct bands on the planet. Never saw red dot.

Hth,
    Muppet man

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

The 130SLT's FL is 650mm so the 2x barlowed 9mm EP should give 145x magnification, well within the light gathering ability of 130mm aperture. You should see some detail on Jupiter. Check the items below.

Has the telescope cooled down fully

Is there dew all over the mirror or even the Eyepiece

Is the telescope collimated

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mikeonfreeserv

First, rule out that you're not on Jupiter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Not sure if I'm in right thread, but has anybody notice how bright Jupiter is this year, its the brightest Iv ever seen it, in fact I can still spot it in the morning sky with the sun above the horizon, Iv only experience this with Venus, its quite amazing, maybe its because its in the constellation of Gemini which is probably the highest point in the Ecliptic in the sky in the Northern Hemisphere, now if it was in Saggitarius, well the Southern Hemisphere would get a better view, its probably its brightest in the Northern Hemisphere at this time every 11years, well sit back and enjoy it, its nearly brighter than Venus, hmmm not quite.

Advertisement