Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Derg Monster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Well it is a lake that still has at least one huge pike still in it. I have been like Ahab trying to find a very big pike that came in and munched on a decent sized pike that I was playing.

She was a peach of a fish and would guesstimate that she was in the 30lbs bracket, maybe even touching the 40lbs mark.

Is still a good lake to fish despite some type doing their best to take and kill fish over the years. Fishes best from a boat, but plenty of excellent spots to shore fish from as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well it is a lake that still has at least one huge pike still in it. I have been like Ahab trying to find a very big pike that came in and munched on a decent sized pike that I was playing.

She was a peach of a fish and would guesstimate that she was in the 30lbs bracket, maybe even touching the 40lbs mark.

Is still a good lake to fish despite some type doing their best to take and kill fish over the years. Fishes best from a boat, but plenty of excellent spots to .shore fish from as well.

Hi was on Lene in September and got chatting to couple of guys over from Liverpool . They had done 4 days on it and showed us picture of pike touching 29 lb , they had some great fish off it all returned .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That sounds a lovely fish. There are a good number of pike in the mid to high 20's in Lough Derg. My own PB from Derg was a hen who was a shade over 28lbs, my PBs have been gradually improving over time:). but my quest for the fish that makes her look small is ongoing. :)

Is a body of water that I love fishing on though, and there is some cracking fishing to be had for other species on Derg as well. Have been catching some very good tench around Garykennedy this year, and towards Scariff has been very good for bream.

I do love lake fishing with a passion though. Something about a big lake that always raises my hopes of hooking a real monster.

Am a big fan of the stretch of Shannon between Lough Derg and O' Briens Bridge as well. The O' Briens Bridge side of the dam is a good piking spot, and is well watched by locals and regulars for anyone trying to remove fish.

Advertisement