Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed setting up a Time Capsule to see a PC

Options
  • 02-11-2013 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

I recently got a 3TB TIme Capsule and, while it was an absolute doddle to set up for Mac, it can't be seen by any of the Windows laptops or PCs as a hard drive (can be seen as a wi-fi alright).

The Time Machine auto back-ups also work fine.

Before I bought it I rang Apple a few times and asked about would it ba able to be used by both Mac and Windowas and I was told by the salesperson it would and that if I had any trouble that I could simply ring them and they'd talk me through the set-up process.

Well today I rang them and guess what .... they won't help me as it's not a Mac problem :(

Do any of you know what I need to change in the settings to have it seen by everything?

Oh and my level of knowledge on computers is not as good as many of yours so talk to me in simple terms ;)

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Cerbera wrote: »
    I recently got a 3TB TIme Capsule and, while it was an absolute doddle to set up for Mac, it can't be seen by any of the Windows laptops or PCs as a hard drive (can be seen as a wi-fi alright).

The Time Machine auto back-ups also work fine.

Before I bought it I rang Apple a few times and asked about would it ba able to be used by both Mac and Windowas and I was told by the salesperson it would and that if I had any trouble that I could simply ring them and they'd talk me through the set-up process.

Well today I rang them and guess what .... they won't help me as it's not a Mac problem :(

Do any of you know what I need to change in the settings to have it seen by everything?

Oh and my level of knowledge on computers is not as good as many of yours so talk to me in simple terms ;)

Try set it up via a wired connection. See if that helps. I also have one here but use it on my MacBook Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

fox007 wrote: »
    Try set it up via a wired connection. See if that helps. I also have one here but use it on my MacBook Pro

Ps did you ring apple Directly? Not a third party as it is an apple product and they will give you help over the phone .Well that's what I was told in the Belfast store were I bought mine

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

I've tried it wired and wireless but it doesn't see it as a hard drive either way.

Yeah I rang Apple directly on the 1800 92 38 98 number and got through to the correct department in Technical Support, etc but he just said he wouldn't be able to help me as it wasn't a Mac problem.

Actually he even suggested that I contact Microsoft to see if they could help me :o

I have to say I was surprised and disappointed with that response particularly after I'd asked the exact same question re the set-up off the salesperson before I bought it and was assured that I could ring up for help if I needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

As far as I know the disk in the new Time Capsule is formatted as HFS so your PC will be unable to write to it even if it could see it.

Also I think the new Time Capsule is only for backup there's no (official, without voiding your warranty) way to make it act like a network drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Also I think the new Time Capsule is only for backup there's no (official, without voiding your warranty) way to make it act like a network drive.
    YouTube is full of videos on how to set Time Capsule up as a file / media server accessible via either LAN or WAN as well as a backup device, concurrently and at the same time even, as well as going forward..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

mathepac wrote: »
    YouTube is full of videos on how to set Time Capsule up as a file / media server accessible via either LAN or WAN as well as a backup device, concurrently and at the same time even, as well as going forward..

You sure? I know with the old ones you definitely could but I thought with the new ones you actually have to pull the drive out so you can format it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Yeah the Youtube vuds are for the old version of it :(

I was advised at the time of purchase that it definitely could be used as a hard drive by both Mac and PC simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Install Bonjour on windows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

You sure? I know with the old ones you definitely could but I thought with the new ones you actually have to pull the drive out so you can format it.
    Apologies, I didn't realise they might have messed with the functionality of the newer versions.

Advertisement