Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bored American GI's raped French women

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Great first post, Reggie999.

Have you seen how those darn Romans raped them poor Sabine wimmin?

tac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I know it's the Daily Mail but it's still sort of sad to see the usual rape excuses being reformed and reused in the comments section by people who just don't like what the book has to say, regardless of whether it's true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

tac foley wrote: »
    Great first post, Reggie999.

Have you seen how those darn Romans raped them poor Sabine wimmin?

tac

You have a point, it's a story from the 31/5/2013;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 reggie999

tac fole, above, supports rape

Dear reggie999 -

1. You obviously missed out on the use of sarcasm when you were learning to write English.

2. My name, if you look slightly to the left of this post, is spelled F O L E Y.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

At least it's something different from the usual "pure as apple pie american heroes" propaganda that comes from the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Well I'm no fan of the Daily Mail but here are two related facts, taken from different parts of the article which are in turn interesting and mind blowing.

First:
    "In total, it is estimated (OK that's not a fact it's a supposition, SM)that some 14,000 women were raped by American GIs in Western Europe from 1942 to 1945. In France, 152 American soldiers were tried for rape, of whom 29 were hanged."

Interesting.

And Second:

"Of the mere 152 men who were tried for rape, 139 of the defendants were ‘coloured’."

You whaaattt????

90 per cent of suspected rapists in the American Army were "coloured"? And this in an Army which was heavily segregated. In fact, until the very end of the war there were almost no "coloured" combat units. Blacks were thought to be not as good fighters as white American boys. Didn't have the co-ordination, don't ye know (Not my views; General Patton's) and so were mainly relegated to ancillary duties such as driving supply trucks and digging roads.

I don't know the racial breakdown of the American Army in France in WWII but I suspect "coloured" servicemen were a very small minority. Yet they accounted for more than 90 per cent of suspected rapists.

Mind blowing.

As the great Groucho Marx once said "Military Justice is to justice as Military Music is to music."

Slightly OT, but from the records of the Metropolitan police investigations -

'The Metropolitan Police Service is one of the few police forces which has collected statistics on gang rape. Filmmaker Sorious Samura compiled 29 such incidents involving young people from January 2006 to March 2009, and found that, of 92 people convicted, 66 were black or mixed race. Samura said he found it "impossible to ignore the fact that such a high proportion were committed by black and mixed-race young men".

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

Well I'm no fan of the Daily Mail

Agreed !

"Of the mere 152 men who were tried for rape, 139 of the defendants were ‘coloured’."

You whaaattt????

I don't know the racial breakdown of the American Army in France in WWII but I suspect "coloured" servicemen were a very small minority. Yet they accounted for more than 90 per cent of suspected rapists.

Mind blowing.
    ===================================================================================================

I think you are def on to something here. Racism in the American forces at this time was endemic. It wasn't only Nazi Germany who espoused the theory of racial purity and it appears from these statistics that men of colour were singled out for punishment much more than their white counterparts. One would also wonder how fair a trial they received.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Gee, that World War really must have been ****ty I guess. Who woulda thunk it!

• Advertisement

Gee, that World War really must have been ****ty I guess. Who woulda thunk it!
    I think you are totally missing the point(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think you are totally missing the point(s)

The OP is just a link with zero opinion or commentary. What point is there to miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

tac foley wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but from the records of the Metropolitan police investigations -

'The Metropolitan Police Service is one of the few police forces which has collected statistics on gang rape. Filmmaker Sorious Samura compiled 29 such incidents involving young people from January 2006 to March 2009, and found that, of 92 people convicted, 66 were black or mixed race. Samura said he found it "impossible to ignore the fact that such a high proportion were committed by black and mixed-race young men".

tac

Slightly OT?????

So many things wrong with this.

One: you have introduced a small subset (gang rape) of a broadly defined crime occurring in one city into a discussion of a much broader topic occurring across an entire country to insinuate an unpalatable point.

Two: you have juxtaposed 29 incidences of a certain type over a three year period onto a sample of maybe 14,000 incidences of another type over a similar period. On statistical grounds alone, inferring anything from such a disparity in sample sizes is so spurious as to be meaningless.

Three: you ignore the likelihood that a similar prejudice among investigators in both sample sets may pertain. Maybe the Metropolitan police are more drawn to investigating gang rapes where the alleged perpetrators are "black or mixed race". But that's only a possibility. It's unfair to make allegations about the Met based on such a small sample size.

In the case of the US Army in WWII, there's slightly more compelling evidence that an attitude prevailed among military law enforcers that "only **** rape white women"

The OP is just a link with zero opinion or commentary. What point is there to miss?

Well there is a thread beyond the OP, maybe you missed it

Advertisement