Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best type of saw for thin precise cuts

Options
  • 02-11-2013 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I am using a hack saw to cut small blocks of wood from bigger blocks, i want to end up with something that is around 10cmx3cmx5mm and with flat surfaces. Im finding the hacksaw leaves a fairly clean surface but its often not very flat and it cuts hard wood quite slowly. Just wondering what the best type of saw to get for this kind of thing.

regards,

Rowan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

A small band saw might be what your after, those are small enough blocks your cutting.
    In the hand tool department, a tennon saw might be good solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rowanh

I should have said it needs to be a hand tool, i am working on a desk in my spare bedroom so between dust, noise and space something like a band saw wouldn't work. I have a tenon saw, the cuts it makes are much thicker than the hacksaw, its very old which may be part of the problem. Can you get a tenon saw or something similar with a very thin blade and fine teeth?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You can get a nice clean cut with a Japanese hand saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Buy a dovetail saw which has fine teeth and a brass back for stability. I'd also get a wooden mitre box ( unless you want to make one ) which will allow 90 degree cuts and use a stop block for accuracy. Japanese saws are great but expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rowanh

Yep the dove tail saw is the kind of thing i was thinking of, ill pick one up, the mitre box looks handy also. Thanks for the tip!

Rowan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'd recommend a Japanese style saw also, something like a Dozuki Restorer's saw or similar, very fine cut and thin kerf, easy enough to use.

Advertisement