Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling plastics

Options
  • 02-11-2013 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking for someone to clarify plastics recycling for me!

Can the free plastic toys (pure junk!) that come with kids' comics be recycled?

I think that because they don't have the PET/PVC, etc. markings on them, if you put them in the recycling bin, they just end up on landfills. Is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

If they are not on the list and do not have appropriate markings then don't put them in the recycling bin. At the landfill site here, they have a section for general hard plastics so they could maby go in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fiona4

Thanks Oldtree - they are not on the list, and have no markings. Do objects in the 'general hard plastics section in the landfill ultimately get recycled?

In fact, I find it unusual that there are no markings at all on most of these toys, eg. country of origin, etc. I'm beginning to wonder whether toys that arrive attached to comics manage to avoid certain standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Fiona4 wrote: »
    Thanks Oldtree - they are not on the list, and have no markings. Do objects in the 'general hard plastics section in the landfill ultimately get recycled?
    They possibly get incinerated. Not ideal, but better than land-filling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 envaction

I think that if they are still good, you can donate them. I would think that would be the best thing that you can do. There are so many parents out there who can't give their children new toys, so I'm sure that they would love the used ones. Otherwise I would just recycle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Old thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement