Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rust on Bike

Options
  • 01-11-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

I purchased a bike less than a month ago in Halfords - nothing majorly expensive, a bike from the Pendleton line for cycling to work. I was unable to cycle to work for 2 weeks, and so I left it out on my balcony. It would have been slightly exposed to the elements, but nothing like if it had been outside - only whatever was swept in the cross winds.

I took it in a couple of days back to cycle and the brakes on the back wheel had jammed when I used them - I had to manually separate the brake from the wheel in order to release it. Once it was in overnight the brakes were fine again, but there appears to be rust on the chrome around the brakes, along with the chrome on some of the parts of the bike.

Should this have happened? I know it's a case of you get what you pay for, but in my opinion the bike was of decent calibre for a cycle to work bike, and for 2 weeks shielded slightly from the elements, it should not have any rust. Is it a case that I should be applying some form of treatment if leaving it in the elements?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've no idea what you paid for the bike but I have never heard of the brand and so I'm guessing that it may be in the cheaper range of bikes and therefore they most likely used cheaper parts and cheaper materials which will rust when exposed to the elements.

I'd advise you to spray around the pivot point and bolts with WD40 regularly to protect the parts from rain/moisture. Make sure not to get it on the wheel braking surface or the brake blocks/pads.

It might also be advisable to get a waterproof tarp to throw over the bike during winter if it's parked up for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

CJC999 wrote: »
    I've no idea what you paid for the bike but I have never heard of the brand and so I'm guessing that it may be in the cheaper range of bikes and therefore they most likely used cheaper parts and cheaper materials which will rust when exposed to the elements.

I'd advise you to spray around the pivot point and bolts with WD40 regularly to protect the aorta from rain/moisture. Make sure not to get it on the wheel braking surface or the brake blocks/pads.

It might also be advisable to get a waterproof tarp to throw over the bike during winter if it's parked up for any length of time.

Thank you! I'll do that this weekend. I know very little about bikes (thankfully I work with and am related to some very avid cyclists) The bike cost just under €300, so not a particularly expensive bike by any means. It serves its exact purpose and is a very comfortable sturdy bike, which is really all I need. Unfortunately the quality may not be as high as a more expensive bike!

Is there anything I can do to remove the rust or is this just something I'll have to live with?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

CJC999 wrote: »

I'd advise you to spray around the pivot point and bolts with WD40 regularly to protect the aorta from rain/moisture.

If you'll excuse my different opinion, WD40 is great at getting rid of water, but not so good at keeping it out. Might be a good idea to use a thicker oil to stop water lodging. Also WD40 can encourage rust if used on its own, I've a door hinge to prove it.
    Once you leave something out, it'll rust. It does not need direct contact with water, moisture in the air will cause the rust, it's just a matter of controlling it. The cover will do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

I hear that coke is good to get rust off chrome bits.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

inc21 wrote: »
    I hear that coke is good to get rust off chrome bits.

It's worked fairly well for me in the past, used with steel wool or similar.

Being on a balcony really is enough for rust to set in, any kind of moisture in the air will do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Thanks everyone - lesson learned! I'll keep the bike indoors for now, and get a tarp to cover it with.

I assume the bike should be ok to keep outside under a demi-shelter during work hours? I'm just concerned that if rust or brakes jamming is happening now, I'd hate to be stranded in work!

Do you dry off your bike every time after it rains?

I apologise for all the questions, I'm very new to bike ownership :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Thanks everyone - lesson learned! I'll keep the bike indoors for now, and get a tarp to cover it with.

I assume the bike should be ok to keep outside under a demi-shelter during work hours? I'm just concerned that if rust or brakes jamming is happening now, I'd hate to be stranded in work!

I apologise for all the questions, I'm very new to bike ownership :)

Tarp isn't always advisable, especially if the bike's a bit wet, it'll just keep the moisture in. If you're keeping it in the apartment/house then I wouldn't bother with the tarp!

Yeah bike should be fine outside for a few ours, just make sure you have a wet lubricant on the moving parts and cables! :D

I do dry off my bike after it rains. Best way to keep the chain clean and healthy is also the laziest way. Just give it a good hard wipe with a rag after a wet spin, and give it a couple of drops of oil, wipe away all the excess. If you do that regularly, you shouldn't ever need to give it a major clean, or at least very rarely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ah_Yeah wrote: »

Yeah I do. It takes 5 minutes to completely dry it and lube the chain and derailleurs afterwards so it's ready for the next outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm interested to read that the tarp should keep the bike dry....

I keep my bike at home under a waterproof cover. Like the OP, it's a bog-standard bike-to-work buy (a Giant, if that makes any difference). It's kept outside, but under a plastic cover always. At work, it's out of the weather also. I rarely cycle in the rain!

Yet my handlbars are turning into more rust than metal (or whatever they're covered with). And the saddle got completely soaked inside, and oozes water whenever I cycle, so I have to keep a plastic bag over it when I'm cycling.

Thankfully I haven't had the brakes seize up on me - yet.

But I wouldn't rate a tarp/plastic cover as a cure-all against rust..... or even the damp.

ETA - crossed posts with people who know more than me about these things! Comments duly noted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Here's an interesting tip on how to remove the surface rust that has formed on some of the components of your bike. Rub it off using crumpled up Aluminium foil dipped in water. The video link explains the science and it seems to work quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4dmZrXXN-k

Once the rust has been removed you can apply a protective layer to the surface of your bike frame and components to help protect them from rust reforming. Two options are to use a protective car wax spray or polish or spray with GT85 which has a PTFE in it. Both will protect the surface and dispel the water.

I would stay away from WD-40 as what it does is penetrate rust and degreases the surface of the metal so and it will remove rust but doesnt really offer any protection. So if you use it you need to apply something afterwards to protect or else rust will reform.

Hopefully this will get your Pendleton looking good as new again !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

joxerjohn wrote: »
    Here's an interesting tip on how to remove the surface rust that has formed on some of the components of your bike. Rub it off using crumpled up Aluminium foil dipped in water. The video link explains the science and it seems to work quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4dmZrXXN-k

Once the rust has been removed you can apply a protective layer to the surface of your bike frame and components to help protect them from rust reforming. Two options are to use a protective car wax spray or polish or spray with GT85 which has a PTFE in it. Both will protect the surface and dispel the water.

I would stay away from WD-40 as what it does is penetrate rust and degreases the surface of the metal so and it will remove rust but doesnt really offer any protection. So if you use it you need to apply something afterwards to protect or else rust will reform.

Hopefully this will get your Pendleton looking good as new again !

Yes, the method I use on rusty chromed bits is brillo pad (steel wool impregnated with surfactant), rinse with water, dry, and apply car wax to seal any scratches/pits that formed. If the part is kept reasonably dry after that it won't rust again and after each wash, or rainy/muddy cycle a wipe clean and reapplication of wax keeps it sealed.

Its not a bad idea to wax painted bits from time to time, the wax can go into crevasses and cracks the water would otherwise and though rust on an aluminium frame is not corrosive to the frame it can prevent paint chipping/stress cracking from the oxide forming.

Advertisement