Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone used Axa Drivesave?

Options
  • 01-11-2013 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

I've seen the threads on here discussing the pros and cons of having "big brother" in your car spying on your driving but has anyone actually gotten a Drivesave policy? If so what has your experience with it been like? Anything to watch for? Anyone make great savings during/after the policy?

I just signed up for it myself today. I'm on a provisional licence and it knocked nearly €400 off my quote, making it the cheapest quote I got by about €100.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You are starting out and you agreed to have your driving monitored 100% of the time, all for €100 saving. It does not seem to be a very wise move to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

mickdw wrote: »
    You are starting out and you agreed to have your driving monitored 100% of the time, all for €100 saving. It does not seem to be a very wise move to me.

Well I'm more curious to find out peoples experiences with Drivesave as opposed to their opinions of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mitsuko045 wrote: »
    Well I'm more curious to find out peoples experiences with Drivesave as opposed to their opinions of it.

As most people on here see it as big brother you won't get many opinions of experiences on it tbh.

Personally I'd not want any insurance company tracking my driving for a year then loading it due to historical data, particularly if I was a young driver, given that I've a lot to learn still.

I thought about the big brother aspect of it but how it was explained to me was that if I have a four months consistent very safe driving (scoring above 70/100) I can get money back during the policy and money off my next policy.

If I don't make that target nothing happens to my policy. I check my score online and see where my downfalls are and where I'm losing points. If I'm consistently driving dangerously (bombing it around corners, speeding etc) then they can cancel my policy.

The way I see it is that 1. I don't give a **** axa wants to spy on me and find out when I go to tescos. 2. I'm not going to be doing tonnes and tonnes of driving. 3. I'll have my babs in the car so I will doing my best to drive safe anyways.

They do take into account that stuff like sudden or hard braking may be required sometimes so they don't count that against you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I thought about the big brother aspect of it but how it was explained to me was that if I have a four months consistent very safe driving (scoring above 70/100) I can get money back during the policy and money off my next policy.

If I don't make that target nothing happens to my policy. I check my score online and see where my downfalls are and where I'm losing points. If I'm consistently driving dangerously (bombing it around corners, speeding etc) then they can cancel my policy.

The way I see it is that 1. I don't give a **** axa wants to spy on me and find out when I go to tescos. 2. I'm not going to be doing tonnes and tonnes of driving. 3. I'll have my babs in the car so I will doing my best to drive safe anyways.

They do take into account that stuff like sudden or hard braking may be required sometimes so they don't count that against you.
    If you suits you then go for it?

• Advertisement

I am going with it, was just wonderig if anyone else had and what their experiences were.

You might find more people who have decided to use it in the learning to drive forum rather than here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Its an insurance company looking for reasons to put up your insurance down the road.

Insurance companies don't care about safe or driving ability, their only concern themselves with risk and claims and how much profit they can make.

If everyone installed a box and it costs 100euro per box, someone has to pay for it and you can be dam sure its not coming out of insurance company profit margins.

So knowing that do you really think there is enough bad drivers to cover the cost who are willing to accept higher costs ?

Better to phone around insurance companies and brokers and try pick up a cheaper price without some black box that can be used to put up your premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Its an insurance company looking for reasons to put up your insurance down the road.

Insurance companies don't care about safe or driving ability, their only concern themselves with risk and claims and how much profit they can make.

If everyone installed a box and it costs 100euro per box, someone has to pay for it and you can be dam sure its not coming out of insurance company profit margins.

So knowing that do you really think there is enough bad drivers to cover the cost who are willing to accept higher costs ?

Better to phone around insurance companies and brokers and try pick up a cheaper price without some black box that can be used to put up your premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I would have paid the extra 100 not to have to worry the whole time am I doing everything the way they want it.
    What happens if you stay over the speed limit passing someone or something. Is every instance taken into account?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Wouldn't touch it. Would pay an extra €100 if I was a learner to keep the insurance companies black box out of my car. There are some roads around that are 50 where absolutely no one goes that. Id have grannies trying to get me to pullover. Also alot of people as well in some places I drive. You have to break harsley sometimes in preparation that someone will pull out n front of you or that a kid will run out after his soccer ball. Youll either drive too slow most of the time or you'll drive too fast for the circumstances and avoid harsh braking and chance that no one will step out in front of you.

tl;dr. I would never let an insurance company go big brother over €100. They even monitor the times of day you drive in. God no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭maidhc

I wouldn't touch it. Gives an insurance company too many reaons to refuse cover if something goes wrong.

They have thier No claim bonus system, and that will do just fine thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

I am going with it, was just wonderig if anyone else had and what their experiences were.
    Hey,
    Just wondering if you got it installed in your car ?
    I am in the process of getting it, so I am just curious how the gadget looks like (does it have its own battery or is it connected to the power of the car, can it be easily removed in the future etc..) and how the whole monitoring process is :eek: ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement