Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedplay pedals - difficult to clip in

Options
  • 01-11-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi,
    Today I put some new Speedplay Zero Chromoly Pedal's on my new bike, and find them incredibly difficult to clip in to - has any one else had this problem? Any tips?
    Seems to be a few threads about it when I search in Google, but nothing seems to have worked so far.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Put a thin film of grease on the inside of the cleat. They do loosen up in time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I found the same thing in the beginning. After 3-4 spins it just became easier., it's just a matter of hitting them right and applying the right pressure.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

AmberGold wrote: »
    Put a thin film of grease on the inside of the cleat. They do loosen up in time.

I have put some lube on it, which hasn't made a big difference. I've seen Loctite Dip mentioned for putting on the screws but I've no idea what it is!

Yes the Loctite will help retain the outer screws. They can come loose and if lost you will have to source from a dealer. It's also vital the outer screws aren't too to tight as this will affect the clip in / out.

The cleats will also need a little maintenance, periodically check the screws are tight and the cleats are not moving around on the shoe. Don't walk around too much and ideally buy the coffee stop covers.

They are a really good system and the float system is top class.

Also learn how to grease them with a gun, some vids on you tube.

Lastly tighten up the screw on the side of the cleat to ensure the float is limited to prevent your heel from hitting the drive side crank arm.

What is the Loctite stuff / Where d you get it? I tried loosening the screws, but didn't make a huge difference. They were so loose they fell out!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The cleats need to be as flat as possible, so you have to be careful how you choose and place the shims that come with them to create a flat surface on the sole of the shoe before attaching the clears. If the surface is not flat enough, or you tighten the screws on the cleat too much as already metioned, you'll find clipping in and out to be very difficult. It's very easy to overtighten the cleats, I've found, and it's the only cause of clipping in and out issues that I've experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Hi,
    Today I put some new Speedplay Zero Chromoly Pedal's on my new bike, and find them incredibly difficult to clip in to - has any one else had this problem? Any tips?
    Seems to be a few threads about it when I search in Google, but nothing seems to have worked so far.
    Thanks

I was almost ready to send mine back. Loosened them a bit but what made the biggest difference is moving the heel slightly from side to side while trying to clip in. When I keep the foot parallel to the bike they don't seem to go in no matter how much pressure I apply.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I was almost ready to send mine back. Loosened them a bit but what made the biggest difference is moving the heel slightly from side to side while trying to clip in. When I keep the foot parallel to the bike they don't seem to go in no matter how much pressure I apply.

I couldn't understand why people were having such trouble so I had a look at my cleats. I did indeed loosen the grub screws way back when I first got them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Always worth noting that when you buy Speedplay pedals, you finance a company that does this:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80010

tl;dr Guy wants to rebuild pedals, disassembles pedals and notices off-the-shelf parts used in the pedals. Sees the huge cost from Speedplay for rebuild kits. Guy advertises the equivalent and uprated bearings and seals, then gets major-league threats from Speedplay. Speedplay's wife is a lawyer so they take a lot of time to pull speedplay bearing kits from Ebay and elsewhere citing patent/trademark issues.

Any company that uses the tactics that Speedplay use to the level that they use, will never get my money and I'll make sure that they don't get my friends either. I'd always suggest Shimano or Crankbrothers in preference to the lollipops..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's mad. I had never heard of that. Very distasteful behaviour. Who the hell in the company thought that pursuit was a good idea?

Thanks everyone for the advice - got some Loctite stuff and loosened the screws. Went out for a spin today and they seem to be getting a bit better. Still have to put a lot of effort in, but definitely getting there.
    Am coming from using Look Keo's, which were quite easy to get in/out of.
    Popoutman - sorry, never new any of that! Too late now I suppose though!

Advertisement