Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnsgate Village

Options
  • 01-11-2013 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what its like to live there? Is it safe? What are the houses like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

irishguy wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what its like to live there? Is it safe? What are the houses like?

Personally would not be my choice , houses are on a main busy road , seems a bit run and close to areas that would not be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Run away! I had the misfortune of living there a few years ago for 9 months, in that nine months my house was broken into twice, and the windscreen was smashed in my car. I saw three cars being burned out as well as various other anti-social behaviour. That is one scary scary place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Run away! I had the misfortune of living there a few years ago for 9 months, in that nine months my house was broken into twice, and the windscreen was smashed in my car. I saw three cars being burned out as well as various other anti-social behaviour. That is one scary scary place.

Was that a long time ago? Is it still that bad?i know it's not the greatest place in the world, but the place is reasonably priced and it am just trying to gauge how bad it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Was that a long time ago? Is it still that bad?i know it's not the greatest place in the world, but the place is reasonably priced and it am just trying to gauge how bad it is

I've never ever lived there but based SOLELY on the location, I am going to agree with "RUN AWAY!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya I wouldn't live down that way myself. It may be cheap but there is a very good reason why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

It was only about 3 years ago, all you have to do is walk around there during the day to see the burn marks and broken bottles to know that it is still the same.

If you value your possessions then don't live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Some parts are ok but personally speaking from experience as I lived there I wouldn't recommend it, houses are cold and damp....alot are neglected and only have wooden and single glazed windows...

Every1 seems to think its there right to just abandon their cars there in the morning and block your back gate which u'd use to drive your car in at nite.

As you get closer to the Limerick wall....ex Sallyport pub alot of wino's sit on the wall so again wouldnt advise...

best advise I would give any1 is to go there a few times at different times of day and make your own mind up...but reason houses are cheap is always for a bad reason in my humble opinion..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Run away. had a "pleasure" of viewing one of those houses, and what put me off was the neighborhood and bags full of rubbish everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

Dont think its a fair what is being said on the area. I currently live in the vincinty (just off Johns street) and have had no issues. Rent is resonable and some of the houses are really nice.

Neighbours are all really nice and donkey fordes (best chipper in Limerick), the milk market are at your doorstep, richardsons foodstore is around the corner and nice running routes along the canal. At the end of the day you are living in the city centre and with that comes certain waivers of caution. A guy on my street had his car broken into and set on fire but he did leave his ipad on in the backseat. Be smart and keep to yourself and you will enjoy living so near to everything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

It has plus points but running on the canal is not one as seen on another thread in this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

fi314 wrote: »
    Dont think its a fair what is being said on the area. I currently live in the vincinty (just off Johns street) and have had no issues. Rent is resonable and some of the houses are really nice.

Neighbours are all really nice and donkey fordes (best chipper in Limerick), the milk market are at your doorstep, richardsons foodstore is around the corner and nice running routes along the canal. At the end of the day you are living in the city centre and with that comes certain waivers of caution. A guy on my street had his car broken into and set on fire but he did leave his ipad on in the backseat. Be smart and keep to yourself and you will enjoy living so near to everything

Spot the landlord :lol:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

fi314 wrote: »
    A guy on my street had his car broken into and set on fire but he did leave his ipad on in the backseat. Be smart and keep to yourself and you will enjoy living so near to everything

Rookie mistake. I'm sick of telling my brother not to leave his iPad on show in the car unless he wants it set on fire

Not a landlord. In Limerick for work but I get slightly defensive when people start criticizing an area which I really enjoy living in. Limerick people need to get a bit more positive and embrace the good things about the city ( and I believe that there is a lot of good things). For example its upsetting that someone got robbed on the canal but ultimately that run/cycle is a positive feature for the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

I've another phrase for that - "living with your head in the clouds."

People did that for years in this city and look where it got us.

I am not saying ignore the problems but embrace the positives with the negatives.

I moved to Limerick, as many do, with all the media ‘stab city’ hype to the fore of my mind. I have been pleasantly surprised. Studies have shown that Limerick as no more problems as any other city in Ireland. Social exclusion, anti social behaviour, poverty, drug abuse ect are present in every city. The one difference is that you will never find a Cork/Waterford Person being so negative.

This is a view expressed often form those outside Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

that doesn't change the fact that Johnsgate Village is to be avoided.
    just use streetview on google maps and see for yourselves peeps

Or perhaps pop down there, have a chat to a few people and view the place yourself.

Look this is an area which does not have a comparatively high crime rate ( I checked prior to moving in). It is a mix of rented properties/owner occupied/ social housing and has a number positives.

City Centre living everyone’s cup of tea but that is individual preference. The best thing is to surely take on board the views expressed here but to go down and check it out for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Lived there for a few years. Robberies are constant down their. Neighbour was burgled twice in one week. There`s too many allyways down their, by the time the guards come the robbers are already gone. I often seen the guardi scratch their heads wondering which way to go.
    I would not park a pram down their. My car was broken into twice, second time they bent the door frame so bad it could`nt be fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Thanks for the info guys, I have decided against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Lived there for a few years. Robberies are constant down their. Neighbour was burgled twice in one week. There`s too many allyways down their, by the time the guards come the robbers are already gone. I often seen the guardi scratch their heads wondering which way to go.
    I would not park a pram down their. My car was broken into twice, second time they bent the door frame so bad it could`nt be fixed.

Was like that when I lived there over 12 yrs ago now shame as I liked the area and closeness of town etc ....but I was sick of my car being damaged and broken bottles thrown in the alleyways a real shame...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭roxana

Thanks for all answers, I'll stay away!

Advertisement