Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

driveway hideing

Options
  • 01-11-2013 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I am about to start on the journey of building my new home and hope you all can help me on the way.

The driveway is my first query.

I want to hide the driveway. I would like to build it lower than the surrounding garden. The plan is to strip back the topsoil and some subsoil, fill with crushed rock, compact then 804 (and if there is any money left at the end; macadam). The finished road level will be up to 600mm below the level of the garden. I would like to have vertical sides.

What would the easiest and/or cheapest way to retain the sides. Length is approx 75m

I know I will have runoff issues as well so some ideas on that would also be welcome. (It will be downhill all the way to the house - having to open the backdoor to let the water through would be tiring at the least)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MayoSailor

BryanF wrote: »
    Ive stopped given rule of thumb figures. would you be so kind as come back and tell us how your sqm/budget price works outs when your project is completed. you might include VAT, whether the builder was insured/paying tax and whether any work was done by you (ie for free), you might show professional fees separately and what your contingency was a whether you used it - lets say that 'completed' is painted & fully furnished.

best of luck on your project

BryanF - Will do

My current stragety is to get the core (foundations to weathertight) done under a main contract. The follow on works I hope to tender individually. The main contractor will be obliged to carry insurance under the T&C's of the contract (a copy will be sought). I will need to carry (back-up) insurance for the other works. I do not intend to involve myself in contractors/venders tax compliance.

Advertisement