Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Shower

Options
  • 01-11-2013 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

The shower water never gets hot enough, but the water in the sinks and the bath get very hot. We were told to turn one of the round taps in the hot press but there are five of them - is there a way of finding out which one we should turn, or even, what they are all for so I could label them for future reference? We have a motor in the hot press as our water pressure is poor as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Anyone know anything that could help me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Sorry Jellybaby.... I know how you feel and have old style luggage labels made of cardboard and string to help ID the valves. You need to be able to turn off hot or cold flow to enable washer change for example. One of them would be a feed from the attic storage tank to the immersion tank to top up water as it is used. You could try 'trial and error' ... close one and see what happens. You should feel the hot ones from the heat in the pipe leading up to them if in use. I dont understand how the difference in temperature is caused? The old valves were turned clockwise to close but some new ones we have are nice lever operated controls and less likely to get stuck. Maybe get some expert advice as some controls might be to do with heating system.

Thanks AnnieO - looks like another call to the plumber. Off to count the pennies now.

I had searched here before and couldn't find anything about this before, but just found something on Boards now about an airlock which could be the problem. Anyhoo, whatever the prob. a plumber is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

dont turn anything in the hotpress.
    the waters heating fine if the taps are getting warm.problem with the shower,what shower is it?post a pic
    could be a cartridge gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would get a few bottles of cheap vinegar in aldi/lidi.
    Take off the hose and shower head and put into a basin.
    Pour vinegar down hose into the shower head and leave to soak over night. This helps remove limescale.
    Get a sewing needle and push into the holes on the shower head before and after doing this.
    Limescale can block the shower head in a hard water area which means the shower can feel cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

If you've plenty of hot water elsewhere in the house then more than likely it's a problem with the shower.
    As mentioned above a cartridge might need replacing or worst case it could be a supply issue on the hot pipe to shower.

Advertisement