Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premium Rate Scam and ComReg

Options
  • 01-11-2013 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Why does ComReg allow premium rate services to operate in Ireland?

Complaints abound about scammers sending premium rate texts so why is it allowed at all?

Who is the watchdog for ComReg?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I'm wondering the same. I was scammed in July and only by accident I noticed extra charges - thought that the high bill was to do with my recent holidays and roaming charges. ComReg did nothing so Vodafone. I was getting constant emails from ComReg how my query is important. Vodafone closed my case in 2 days.

but I kept pushing the scamming company and finally they reimbursed me through PayPal, of course minus the VAT and pp charges.

Only thought - operators and the state are getting a nice share in the charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There was a proposal I think last year that would have made it extremely difficult for these scams schemes to continue to operate. It would have introduced an additional layer of verification before someone was signed up to premium text messages, this would have effectively shut these people down but under a threat of a court action, Comreg backed down and agreed to further 'consultation' i.e. they kicked the can down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

Thanks. Any chance that you could point me to the proposal? Also, do you know with whom I can kick up a fuss about this? ComReg don't care. They don't fall under the umbrella of Consumer Ireland...Thanks.

Advertisement