Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No More Room In Hell (Free Co-op FPS)

Options
  • 01-11-2013 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭

NoMoreRoomInHell6.jpg
    NoMoreRoomInHell5.jpg
    NMRiH_Screenshot.jpg

This came out yesterday, a Half Life 2 mod which is now standalone, on Steam and is completely free, no microtransaction stuff. Myself and the brother played a few hours last night and it seems a small bit glitchy and a bit confusing to get used to at the moment but it's great fun and unforgivably but entertainingly hard, we couldn't clear any levels :pac:

It's a FPS co-op survival game of up to 8 players, some levels are objective based where you might have to do things to escape from a cabin or streets surrounded by tons and tons of slow moving zombies while others are wave-based where you must defend certain area from being overrun. It's quite like L4D in a bit more realistic way and team-work is an utter must, no Rambo shenanigans here or you're screwed big time.

The zombies are slow but they gather in massive numbers fast and you never have enough ammo (it's quite sparse) to take all of them on so panic quickly sets in and, before long, you'll find yourself trapped in a room or corner swinging your hammer like a nutjob if you don't keep moving. They can grab you but you can push them away and smack them over the head with your sledgehammer or gun :D

Plus, zombie children who are terrifying because they're small, fast, and zig zag all over the place..................it's extremely satisfying when you clobber one across the head as the physics sends them across the room with a meaty crunch.

It doesn't take a lot to die, a few chomps and some slaps and you're dead. You can also get an infection if bitten which gives you 2 minutes to find some pills to temporarily keep you from turning into a zombie, in which your character then hunts down your friends and can be hard to kill.

There's a few problems with it like lack of clear instructions so you'll be checking the wiki for a few things, collision detection (you'll often get stuck in doorways with your co-op mate until one of you move) is iffy, servers are mostly full so it's hard to play at the moment unless you do Tunngle / Hamachi like we did which involved the host entering sv_lan 0 in console then changing the map to apply changes and let others join the "LAN" server.

Pros are the maps randomly generate quite a few times so you won't be doing the same objectives or taking the same route everytime which is nice. Hitting a zombie with a melee weapon is fun as well as shooting them with an array of guns, especially the revolver which feels like a cannon. Very dark game so you have to rely on your torch which leads to tense situations when you know you're getting surrounded.

I'll be playing this tonight again, had a great laugh last night with it. It was only released yesterday and has great potential if they iron out the flaws with it so I think it's one to keep an eye on.

It's free so can't complain too much plus you can play as Walter Sobchak from The Big Lebowski as one of the characters :pac: Only picture I could find but he looks a lot better than below in the actual game
    7oUxg.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yesterday ?
    I've had this installed for months now....
    Though at the time it wasn't standalone....well....maybe it was....you just had to have Source 2007 installed, and then you could download it as a game on Steam.

Also from what I remember it was ridiculously hard. Nothing AT ALL like L4D2 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The mod has been out for ages but the standalone came out yesterday, it's running on Source 2013 now.

Yeah, it's insanely hard but really enjoyed it so far. Needed a good co-op zombie game again that isn't yet another DayZ type game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I tried this mod over a year ago and thought it was dog rough. Has it improved any since going standalone?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Seen that on Steam today, might give it a go. If I can play as my avatar, something is right with it :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So apparently the media is up in arms because there's zombie children in the game.

Get a grip media!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The developers released a statement saying tough ****. Don't like it, don't play it. And fair play to them i say.
    To officially address the topic of children zombies:

We will not be removing them. They are a core component of our game design, our design philosophy, and our long-term vision for NMRiH. Part of our goal was to create a zombie game not based on killing and action, but on tension and fear and moral and ethical choice. We are attempting to simulate a real-world collapse of society as a result of a lethal epidemic. If you cannot handle it, do not play the game. We are sorry that some people seem to be offended for one reason or another but we are NOT going to censor our game and our vision.

Reading some posts by players off-put by the zombie children, being unable to shoot them on first encounter.. that is something that we set out to achieve. That reaction is actually intentional, that is what we wanted. This is a game about survival.

Our game is free, and we developed it solely out of passion and fun to make the zombie game we always wanted. If you do not like it, we are sorry and it's unfortunate but this is a no-compromise situation.

We appreciate any and all feedback on the game, as always.

http://kotaku.com/zombie-game-creator-defends-allowing-players-to-kill-un-1457086109

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I honestly thought it was amazing when I saw a kid get shot.

/idmakeaterriblefather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I played this last night and it's a lot of fun. :)

It's challenging, frustrating & terrifying like a zombie survival game should be,
    but it's rewarding too, e.g. teamwork is a must to survive.

Definitely more fun with people you know.
    Is there any particular servers that ye are playing on?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I was playing on a UK server but was getting sick of waiting to join a game so I just made a dedicated server last night and, at the moment, run it from the evenings until about 2am since numbers dwindle at that time and until I sort out some problems with it like auto map changing.

Still to fine tune it but it's called something like Duggy | Co-Op | Objective|, still have to decide on that one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Been getting stuck into this recently, unfortunately the servers can be a nightmare. You can create your own server but generally you should limit it to about max 5 players otherwise it starts to lag very badly. It also takes a bit of jigging with to get it going in the first place.

Overall I'm impressed with the game's premise, I was a avid player of Zombie Panic Source when it first came out so it was nice to see another source game of its type. It's very very difficult, atmospheric and the design overall is very well done, particularly the maps with randomization and they are usually very big which offers enough replayability. Of course definitely some issues that need to be ironed out such as the animations, bugs and also the latency of attack zombies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Anyone tried this again recently? It's alot better now with the server fixes and the latency issues appear to be alot better as well. Overall the game is very enjoyable and definitely worth playing.

Advertisement