Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt snapped - Ford just out of warranty

Options
  • 01-11-2013 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hello,

My sisters 2009 Ford Mondeo's cam belt just snapped. Engine is in ****e as she kept trying to start it. There is 108,000 Miles on the clock, was always serviced by Ford who never advised her to have it changed as the recommended interval is 120,000 miles - if it were my car it would have been done at 70/80,000.

Thing is, it is a UK import and had a 4 year warranty that expire in July. It also happened inside the recommended interval, so she has approached Ford to have the engine replaced by them.

Has anyone heard of this happening just outside the warranty and getting the manufacturer to covered it. If so, I would appreciate any advice?

Patrick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have heard that Ford will cover belts that snap inside the recommended replacement interval, although I thought that was 100k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

what engine is in the mondeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭chainsawpaddy

She's a Titanium 1.8 Diesel (125bhp) (the 1753cc Ford I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Uh oh she is going to have a fight on her hands here.

The last one of these i seen ford would not cover because the vehicle was over on its service intervals.

There are other threads about this on here and on other forums might be worth a read.

Also find out which belt broke was it the crankshaft to fuel pump also known as the wet belt or was it the fuel pump to camshaft ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

if those cars didn't come with a 4 year warranty in Ireland at the time, i doubt Ford Ireland will honour the UK warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Try Ford ireland first and am sure they will say no. Then try Ford UK and push them and I reckon they will help you but likely you will have to get it to a ford garage in NI. That was my experience with VW Ireland versus VW UK for an import. I however was able to drive the car as my issues weren't as serious as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭chainsawpaddy

MAJJ wrote: »
    Try Ford ireland first and am sure they will say no. Then try Ford UK and push them and I reckon they will help you but likely you will have to get it to a ford garage in NI. That was my experience with VW Ireland versus VW UK for an import. I however was able to drive the car as my issues weren't as serious as yours.

That sounds like a plan. I will look into that.

The UK warranty is honored in Ireland, provided it was serviced by Ford, which it was up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Speaking from experience I would say you have very little chance of getting anywhere with them unless every single service was done either ahead of schedule or bang on time.

We recently had them turn down a claim on a Focus with the same engine because the first two services were carried out slightly late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I was told that the timing belt should be done on or before 100k. Seeing as the car was over that, i dunno could they use that as a reason to deny you. I was on tenderhooks till i got mine done at 101k miles. Hard luck to your sister :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Was it the wet belt that snapped?

This is becoming an issue on the 1.8 tdci engines fitted with a wet belt(belt in oil).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Was it the wet belt that snapped?

This is becoming an issue on the 1.8 tdci engines fitted with a wet belt(belt in oil).

Not just the wet belts i have seen the other one break aswell thats why i asked because service intervals cant come into play if its within milage of fords recomended replacement interval.

If its the wet belt and it passed its service intervals by even a small amount ford will leave you whistling its gonna become more and more common sure dealers didnt even know that they swopped belt for a chain till recently.

Advertisement