Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DMESG output

Options
  • 01-11-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭

I have installed Linux on a Sata drive in a HP ML310e Gen8 server box recently acquired.

There is a single HDDs and is set to use the embedded SATA controller rather than the RAID controller.

DMESG has the following message repeated regularly .... not sure how often, but a few every minute it seems ......
    ACPI Error: SMBus/IPMI/GenericSerialBus write requires Buffer of length 66, found length 32 (20120320/exfield-299)
    ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PMI0._PMM] (Node ffff880106254118), AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT (20120320/psparse-536)
    ACPI Exception: AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT, Evaluating _PMM (20120320/power_meter-348)

Have you any idea of the cause of this error?

Thanks for reading ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

According to Novell/SuSE enterprise help forum:
    It is just a warning. The messages are occuring since a script or an application is reading from certain kernel ACPI parts under /sys/devices/LNXSYSTEM:00/ which are not fully implemented yet.

For SLES11 SP2 the issue is fixed since kernel version 3.0.26-0.7.6.

So upgrade required already, or you can safely ignore...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

According to Novell/SuSE enterprise help forum:
    It is just a warning. The messages are occuring since a script or an application is reading from certain kernel ACPI parts under /sys/devices/LNXSYSTEM:00/ which are not fully implemented yet.

For SLES11 SP2 the issue is fixed since kernel version 3.0.26-0.7.6.

So upgrade required already, or you can safely ignore...

Thanks, I am running a newer kernel ... have to check but think it is 3.4.66 or close.

The damned messages are cluttering up the dmesg output even if they are not important :(

My understanding was that a warning would say 'Warning' and error 'Error' ...... BTW, not using Suse but I guess that hardly makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Installed a 3.10.7 kernel and the messages have disappeared!

Thank you for the solution ;)

Advertisement