Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Summit 2013

Options
  • 01-11-2013 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Any programmers here go to the Web Summit?

I thought it was very interesting myself. I kept myself busy mainly sticking to the developer stage and wandering around the startups looking at their ideas.

I was particularly impressed by the following talks:

The "Internet of Things" Using Web Technologies by Syd Lawrence - link
    This really highlighted to me how far Javascript has moved on from originally being a front end browser based language. You really can do some fun stuff. It looks like it's application is growing and growing.

Disposable Components by Chad Fowler - link
    Very interested in the idea of micro service architecture and how each component should be disposable. I'd like to see real world examples of this.

Implementing Micro-Service Architecture by Fred George link
    This guy has 44 years experience in the industry and is still embracing new technologies and new ideas. Again I'd love to read more about how he implements his use of micro services.

On the topic of micro-service architecture I'm interested to hear more on source code management, logging, service documentation and support for different languages and servers setups in production.

Anyone here have any overall thoughts of the event or any talks they enjoyed that they's like to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭jmcc

David Coallier's talk on Data Science was very good. There were also some good Cloud Computing talks. (Watched them online as I had to work.)

Regards...jmcc

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

stunmer wrote: »
    Any programmers here go to the Web Summit?

I thought it was very interesting myself. I kept myself busy mainly sticking to the developer stage and wandering around the startups looking at their ideas.

I was particularly impressed by the following talks...

I was working at it, so I didn't get to see any talks. Thanks for the links, I should probably have a look through some of the talks.
    jmcc wrote: »
    David Coallier's talk on Data Science was very good. There were also some good Cloud Computing talks. (Watched them online as I had to work.)

He's a colleague of mine, I'll pass on the praise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Was there both days; didn't catch a single talk.

Was there with my startup, as part of the 'alpha' deal, which meant we had a stand for day 2.

Spent Day 1 walking around, talking to all the startups on stands, looking for good connections, or just trying to talk to people in the space we are in, trying to learn how they think about the problems we are solving.

Day 2, we spent on our stand. Spent almost the whole day telling people what our product does. There was a high throughput of people, so the day was very busy.

It was time well spent overall; I'd do it again. I've been to DWS a few times before (Previously spoke on a panel; my first time I got a free ticket from our benefactors at boards.ie :pac: ) but this was my first time with a startup at a stand.

The startup stand space might look crowded, or chaotic - but I would actually recommend having a stand at DWS to anyone trying to build an early stage tech startup: there are decision makers of big tech firms walking around; you don't get that every day in Dublin, and its very valuable.

stunmer wrote: »
    On the topic of micro-service architecture

I've a friend who was telling me he saw some good stuff in the micro-service architecture talks.

I'd love to learn more about putting this idea in practice; I'm going to watch some of those talks.

The general idea appeals to me; a mirror of the unix philosophy of building your complex system from very small, well defined, reusable, interacting components ('the art of unix programming' discusses this at length). That has always appealed to me as a good way of managing complexity. I want to learn how people are building business components out of this, in large organisations, and if its actually working out for them.

I remember reading, a while back (maybe it was in steve yegge's famous rant?) about how amazon are allegedly dogmatic about building internal technology units as potentially reusable services, often interacting via an API layer. That made an impact on me.

At an philosophical level, I sort of believe that as technology becomes more core to businesses in general (i.e. as more and more traditionally business functions essentially become automated, or highly technology driven) that its going to make increasing sense to think of your tech business (not just your technology) as a set of interacting micro-services: the business as a collection of interacting APIs; so interested to watch those talks.

Advertisement