Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brake Pads for Dummies... aka. me!

Options
  • 01-11-2013 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I recently had to purchase new brakes for my bike and want to get a decent set of pads on them. It's an old racer which I use for commuting and it has single pivot caliper brakes.

I use chain reaction cycles a lot but am bamboozled by the array of brake pads on there. I'm relatively new to the world of bike maintenance and haven't quite grasped a lot of the terminology as of yet and am trying to understand which types of pads relate to which types of brakes; it is not always made clear.

For instance, this is probably a stupid question but what is the difference between a cartridge brake shoe and a caliper brake shoe?

[URL="[url]http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/clarks-55mm-caliper-brake-shoe-campagnolo/rp-prod55805[/url]"]55mm Caliper-Brake-Shoe-Campagnolo[/URL]

[URL="[url]http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/clarks-55mm-cartridge-brake-shoe-shimano/rp-prod55807[/url]"]55mm Cartridge-Brake-Shoe-Shimano[/URL]

I've been looking at these two Clarks brake shoe/pads on Chain Reaction Cycles and the only difference I can notice is the 'tyre Guides' on the caliper shoes. I also notice that the cartridge one says "Shimano" while the caliper one says "Campagnolo"; what does this mean?

I'd really appreciate if someone could explain these terms, and what they relate to, as I am a bit lost :o

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

The size and type of bolt that connects the shoe to the brake mech is different for campag and shimano. Most are shimano, so unless you see campag stamped on your brakes, go with shimano compatible. Note that older single pivot campag xenon brakes are also shimano compatible, which I got caught out by a couple of years back.

If you're not sure, unscrew your brake shoe, take a photo of it, and stick it up here. The brake screw on campag brakes is slightly fatter with a hollow screw rather than bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

smacl wrote: »
    The size and type of bolt that connects the shoe to the brake mech is different for campag and shimano. Most are shimano, so unless you see campag stamped on your brakes, go with shimano compatible. Note that older single pivot campag xenon brakes are also shimano compatible, which I got caught out by a couple of years back.

If you're not sure, unscrew your brake shoe, take a photo of it, and stick it up here. The brake screw on campag brakes is slightly fatter with a hollow screw rather than bolt.

These are the calipers I bought, I've taken the pads off and given them to my sister though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

dceire wrote: »
    These are the calipers I bought, I've taken the pads off and given them to my sister though.

They look to be the same as these. Something like 55mm Clarks Shimano cartidge brakes would work, and give you the option of trying different inserts based on weather and bling preferences.

Advertisement