Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Bike

Options
  • 31-10-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to update my bike which I commute on and would like to get something with a bit less hassle.

So, I'm looking for somthing that definitely has hub gears, disc brakes (preferably hydraulic) and reasonably light.

I would like something in the style of a hybrid.

In terms of drive system my preference would be in order:
    1. Shaft (cost/weight prohibitive at the minute???)
    2. Belt? (I know nothing about them)
    3. Fully enclosed chain

I've asked my bike to work appointed shop what they have and they said nothing, but if I could find something they might be able to order it in for me.

In terms of cost, this will be the decisive factor and may knock out the shaft drive - I'm willing to spend up to £600 - £700gbp.

Does anyone on here have any recommendations or opinions? Obviously a Cannondale OnBike would be my ideal bike, but thats not going to happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

For alot less you can have a Carrera Subway, it's highly regarded on many sites like Bike Radar etc. Just my own experience on the Subway has been more then good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I think Raleigh have some belt-drives with disc brakes and hub gears, the Misceo and the Tripper but they seem to be mainly American which may affect cost.

Edit: Misceo 4.0 to be exact

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I think Raleigh have some belt-drives with disc brakes and hub gears, the Misceo and the Tripper but they seem to be mainly American which may affect cost.

Edit: Misceo 4.0 to be exact

Thanks.

Any idea of the weight of it - I couldn't find any on the offical website or the external links I tried.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Nope that's as much information I have on it too. Looks pretty swanky though, 11 speed Alfine and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Bike Snob said a few days ago:
    Wow, it's almost like chains are cheap, durable, and easy to maintain, whereas belt drives are expensive and ****ing stupid.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.ie/2013/10/its-monday-october-28th-and-i-just.html

(Also contains a picture of Lou Bega Reed on a bicycle.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Shaft-drive bikes are so uncommon as to be practically non-existent. Not that many belt-drives around either (some good deals on Civia Kingfields knocking around though).

You can always fit a chain-guard yourself after purchase e.g.
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hebie-chainglider-prod21367/

Here are a few options (non in your price-range though)
    http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/hybrid-bikes#!Number%20of%20Gears=8,7;Brake%20Type=Mechanical%20Disc,Hydraulic%20Disc

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Single speed with chain case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The only belt drives I've read about cannot be split, and I assume that's common to all of them, so you need a frame whose rear triangle can be split instead and they seem quite rare. Personally I'd be curious to try a belt drive for a while on a commute bike but the need for a specific frame put me off a while back when I was in the market for a new commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I think Lumen hit the nail on the head.

As for belt-chain-shaft issues, if you are buying a motorbike this would be a consideration but not really relevant with a bicycle, in my opinion a chain drive is the only way to go.
    For simple gears you will not beat a single speed, unless you regularly encounter long steep hills.

Advertisement