Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Men’s Day, Tues, Nov 19, 2013

Options
  • 31-10-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd start a thread on this in case people are aware of any events that are planned, or even want to try to organise something. Also, perhaps there will be media coverage that may be of interest; or anything else that arises.

Here's some info from the newsletter of the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland http://www.mhfi.org/emale42.pdf :
    International Men’s Day

Did you know that it will be International Men‟s Day on Tuesday 19th November 2013? The theme for 2013 is „Keeping Men and Boys Safe‟.

This will focus upon

- tackling male suicide;

- supporting boys to become tomorrow‟s role models;

- ending the tolerance of violence against men and boys;

- boosting men's life expectancy by addressing avoidable illness and death;

- promoting the importance of fathers.

To find out more, visit: www.imd-global.org

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭iptba

Sample event from the UK
    http://ukmensday.org.uk/parliament/

Parliamentary Group to mark International Men’s Day

Posted by MarkBrooks On October 31, 2013 0 Comment

The All Party Parliamentary Group on Fatherhood is hosting a men in health care settings event for Parliamentarians on 19 November.

It’s great news that International Men’s Day is being marked in the mother of all Parliaments.

Speakers:

June O’Sullivan – CEO, London Early Years Foundation – Men in Healthcare

Nick Smithers – Abused Men In Scotland – Fathers and Social Work

Time: 3pm – 4pm

Invite Only

The event is being run by Working with Men.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

So today is International Mens Day.

How/Will you mark it?
    Do something nice for yourself today, whether that be asking for the help that you need, or treating yourself to an extra nice dinner.

Do one thing today that makes your (or someone elses) world a little bit better to be in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I had no idea. They really need to promote this more.

I'm sure it will be met with ridicule by some though! Although, a day that promotes men's health is a great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I will stroke my beard while urinating from an upright position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

for the day that's in it, i'm not going to wash under my foreskin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Didn't know about this, but I did have steak for breakfast...nice.

For what it's worth, there was a feature on this on the Moncrieff Show on NewsTalk http://newstalk.ie/ this afternoon. Show is from 1.30-4.30pm and this was on from around 2.20pm-2.30pm and then some comments after the news. I imagine is available on playback. Only got to hear it intermittently; it sounded like it ended with Ivan Yates saying there was no need for such a day. Earlier, it had an interview with the organiser of the UK Men's Day who I thought was put the case for it reasonably well i.e. there were specific issues that affect men e.g. suicide, men's health, etc., that are worth highlighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

I think it's needed more than ever. So many men still won't just....well talk. It took me aaaaaaaaages to admit I suffer from depression, and that was just to myself. Thankfully it's not serious, and I'm just a drama queen in comparison to some unfortunate people out there. :p

It's nicely timed with Movember, and I'm definitely seeing more and more talk about men's health issues (mental and physical).

The one thing I'll say is...my newsfeed on Facebook was full of people laughing it off, as apparently it shares the day with 'world toilet day'? I'm not too sure if this is true, but still, it perhaps goes to prove that it's hard for some to still take something like a day celebrating men seriously.

Or maybe any talk is good talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

I was unaware of this day but wonder was it fate or coincidence that two successful cases taken by fathers to the Equality Tribunal were released to the public the following day? See HERE. Of course, as can be expected, virtually no media coverage.

From the Daily Telegraph:
    Do we really need an International Men's Day?

Not everyone will take it seriously, but the ideas behind International Men's Day are very serious indeed, says Glen Poole

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10456888/Do-we-really-need-an-International-Mens-Day.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement