Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fm104 Halloween Special

Options
  • 31-10-2013 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

The annual phoneshow halloween special is on now, no idea of their location, fairly sure they are on location anyway. Anyone listening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ferrier

I switched off when the "psychic" told us to get our pendulums ready....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

listening but don't believe whats happening, I'd say there's a bit of creativity in the script

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Ferrier wrote: »
    I switched off when the "psychic" told us to get our pendulums ready....

I have mine ready.

4fm are doing a special too but I havent been listening.

I think it's fairly good radio, it's live and interesting, kind of wish there where more opportunities to do this kind of stuff, you can hear the mistakes being made, people are genuinely scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 halloween101

friend of mine works in FM104, everthing tonight is staged, just excessive use of sound effects, mic techniques, echo's etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Proview

soc160 wrote: »
    I have mine ready.

4fm are doing a special too but I havent been listening.

I think it's fairly good radio, it's live and interesting, kind of wish there where more opportunities to do this kind of stuff, you can hear the mistakes being made, people are genuinely scared.

I was listening to the 4FM Halloween show and have to say it was atmospheric and scared the livin be jaysus out of us in work.

Started with a ouijay board and I was terrified. Then they had Tom a medium on and they sent people to a graveyard and a haunted house and scared them witless until they ran :)

They are now playing an hour of last years show from Cork jail. .... It was 4 hours of quality and at least 3 was live cause they read out my texts on two occasions.

Full Marks to all of them cause they always go one step further.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

friend of mine works in FM104, everthing tonight is staged, just excessive use of sound effects, mic techniques, echo's etc...

Last night wasn't the only night they staged something I'd say. The same probably goes for one or two other late night talk shows as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 louhiggins

Proview wrote: »
    I was listening to the 4FM Halloween show and have to say it was atmospheric and scared the livin be jaysus out of us in work.

Started with a ouijay board and I was terrified. Then they had Tom a medium on and they sent people to a graveyard and a haunted house and scared them witless until they ran :)

They are now playing an hour of last years show from Cork jail. .... It was 4 hours of quality and at least 3 was live cause they read out my texts on two occasions.

Full Marks to all of them cause they always go one step further.....

Hi, I am a huge fan of all things Halloween and love a good scare but personally I found Niall Boylans show last night disappointing and quite obviously fake!!

The only thing that actually put the willies up me was the sound of his creepy voice! I wouldn't usually listen to him but was hoping for a good scare! They went one step further to try and spin us all bull****! I do not agree with people making light of something so serious just to try and boost ratings. I am both disgusted and disappointed at such a poor attempt at a Halloween show and will not be tuning in again!! I have been more scared watching Barney and friends! Not impressed at all!!

Also Proview, is it not true that you have a connection to the show and therefore have a biased view??

• Registered Users Posts: 26 comegowithme

louhiggins wrote: »
    Hi, I am a huge fan of all things Halloween and love a good scare but personally I found Niall Boylans show last night disappointing and quite obviously fake!!

The only thing that actually put the willies up me was the sound of his creepy voice! I wouldn't usually listen to him but was hoping for a good scare! They went one step further to try and spin us all bull****! I do not agree with people making light of something so serious just to try and boost ratings. I am both disgusted and disappointed at such a poor attempt at a Halloween show and will not be tuning in again!! I have been more scared watching Barney and friends! Not impressed at all!!

Also Proview, is it not true that you have a connection to the show and therefore have a biased view??

So what's your story Lou? You register to divulge secrets of 104's Phoneshow with only the word of a 'friend' who allegedly works there as back up for your claims. Now you are making accusations of another board member having a connection to 4fm!

****e stirring is alive and well on Boards.

I have no connections with either show, which you clearly stated you had through a friend..... I have also made no secret of the fact that I am fan of the show and post about all the time and listen to nothing else at night in Cork.

I am curious as to why you are concerned about making light of a serious subject as you put it. Like you think ghosts are real ,,,,:)

Forgive my childish ignorance but you really think somebody was going to come to them in a graveyard or haunted house ...are you for real my friend.

These shows on Halloween are for entertainment and for entertainment value I just said it was a great 4 hours of diversity from ouijah boards to haunted houses and graveyards, all in one show. ..... I know little about the claims you make about the behind the scenes workings of radio but if the purpose was to scare the knickers of me, it succeeded.

Interesting that you like to think you can make accusations of a user name but then y ou sign up just to congratulate another show ....... The irony makes you look silly ..

..I'm pretty sure they couldn't care less what you or I think of the show because from I read today the website crashed when everybody logged on to the live webcam on the show..... So the disgusting, disappointing show seemed popular......

Maybe next year you can supply every Halloween show on TV and Radio with a real ghost to keep yourself happy ....

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

Chris Barry is hard to warm to because everything he says is read from a script.

• Advertisement

I have no connections with either show, which you clearly stated you had through a friend..... I have also made no secret of the fact that I am fan of the show and post about all the time and listen to nothing else at night in Cork.

I am curious as to why you are concerned about making light of a serious subject as you put it. Like you think ghosts are real ,,,,:)

Forgive my childish ignorance but you really think somebody was going to come to them in a graveyard or haunted house ...are you for real my friend.

These shows on Halloween are for entertainment and for entertainment value I just said it was a great 4 hours of diversity from ouijah boards to haunted houses and graveyards, all in one show. ..... I know little about the claims you make about the behind the scenes workings of radio but if the purpose was to scare the knickers of me, it succeeded.

Interesting that you like to think you can make accusations of a user name but then y ou sign up just to congratulate another show ....... The irony makes you look silly ..

..I'm pretty sure they couldn't care less what you or I think of the show because from I read today the website crashed when everybody logged on to the live webcam on the show..... So the disgusting, disappointing show seemed popular......

Maybe next year you can supply every Halloween show on TV and Radio with a real ghost to keep yourself happy ....

I do not understand why someone who is simply a listener to the show, as you claim to be, would be so defensive over the show. I was just giving my honest opinion. It brings me back to my earlier question... As someone who is related to the show do you not have a biased opinion???

And as for such a "popular" show I also have to ask why every time I have ever tuned in (which is very rare) I hear Cork accents and not Dublin accents? Sounds very poor when you are a Dubliner listening to the show. Why aren't all the people of Dublin calling in?? It's because they aren't listening!! Immediate turn off in itself.

I personally just find the show boring and was disappointed at how staged it was last night. It was cliché and obvious! But as someone who has connections to the show I am sure you disagree!

Also, another little question, a general wondering... If you are in no way connected to the show what's with all your previous posts promoting it?? Looks a little strange I must say!

I do not understand why someone who is simply a listener to the show, as you claim to be, would be so defensive over the show. I was just giving my honest opinion. It brings me back to my earlier question... As someone who is related to the show do you not have a biased opinion???

And as for such a "popular" show I also have to ask why every time I have ever tuned in (which is very rare) I hear Cork accents and not Dublin accents? Sounds very poor when you are a Dubliner listening to the show. Why aren't all the people of Dublin calling in?? It's because they aren't listening!! Immediate turn off in itself.

I personally just find the show boring and was disappointed at how staged it was last night. It was cliché and obvious! But as someone who has connections to the show I am sure you disagree!

Also, another little question, a general wondering... If you are in no way connected to the show what's with all your previous posts promoting it?? Looks a little strange I must say!

I have a cork accent and the station broadcasts in Cork. It's called geography when I went to school. The world doesn't revolve around ye Dubs.

Are you as ignorant as you portray yourself, I clearly admitted I'm a huge fan and only really post about it here cause somebody setup the thread for it. Is that too difficult to work out. .... Maybe you are connected seems u live in Dublin, the capital of the world:):)
    Maybe you should listen more often cause I hear thick Dubs like yourself all the time on it......

I have a cork accent and the station broadcasts in Cork. It's called geography when I went to school. The world doesn't revolve around ye Dubs.

Are you as ignorant as you portray yourself, I clearly admitted I'm a huge fan and only really post about it here cause somebody setup the thread for it. Is that too difficult to work out. .... Maybe you are connected seems u live in Dublin, the capital of the world:):)
    Maybe you should listen more often cause I hear thick Dubs like yourself all the time on it......

Do you ever get fed up of all the repeat shows they are playing this weather. I'm not to sure when was the last time they did a full week of live shows. Even the Harvey show has gone to the dogs, he only seems to go in when he feels like it, if he doesn't Boylan stands in for an hour and plays back a repeat of his own show the night before for the last hour. They could do with letting on a few new callers too, well if they have any other callers that is. Listening to John and Joe and Liz every day and night is getting a bit boring now.

Ah I see what you are doing, trying to slag the Dubs to make it look like you are not from Dublin and therefore are not connected to the show!! As obvious and transparent as the sad excuse for a Halloween show that was aired last night.

And also, the show, aired in Cork or not the fact is that it is also aired in Dublin AND BROADCASTED from there!! So where are all the local people?? Why are they not ringing in?? I'll tell you why... it's because the standard of radio here is probably much higher than in Cork so people don't have to resort to desperate measures to have something to listen to at night! But you being connected to the show know that yourself surely.

You are doing a very poor job at trying to pretend you are in no way connected to the show. I don't understand why any "fan" from Cork (of a Dublin radio station) would set up a page that is quite obviously being used to promote the station and going way overboard with trying to make it look popular and sing its praises. The fact of the matter is that nobody around Dublin rings into that show for a reason and the very few times I have turned it on I have had to turn it off again because the sound of the presenters voice alone is enough to make me cringe. No need to be getting all defensive, if you are in no way connected to the show then I am sure my opinion of the show will like water off a ducks back to you! But I think we both know that that's not the case!

They're probably John O' Donovan. Some say he's on the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eiresandra

I don't understand why any "fan" from Cork (of a Dublin radio station)

4FM is a multi-city station. It broadcasts to Cork, Limerick, Galway (and weirdly Clare) aswell as Dublin and should be equally relevant in all cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Lads, shut up bickering, it's not relevant, do it in private if you must but leave this thread for a discussion on the actual show.

eiresandra wrote: »
    4FM is a multi-city station. It broadcasts to Cork, Limerick, Galway (and weirdly Clare) aswell as Dublin and should be equally relevant in all cities.

My point is that it's hugely unpopular in Dublin so that is probably why they broadcast throughout Ireland. I am not saying that Cork is irrelevant, I am just stating the fact that it seems to be mainly callers from Cork that ring in because people here just don't listen to the show. As I said the show sounds boring, uneventful and outdated and like anybody else on this I am entitled to my opinion (and to state the obvious)!

Ah I see what you are doing, trying to slag the Dubs to make it look like you are not from Dublin and therefore are not connected to the show!! As obvious and transparent as the sad excuse for a Halloween show that was aired last night.

And also, the show, aired in Cork or not the fact is that it is also aired in Dublin AND BROADCASTED from there!! So where are all the local people?? Why are they not ringing in?? I'll tell you why... it's because the standard of radio here is probably much higher than in Cork so people don't have to resort to desperate measures to have something to listen to at night! But you being connected to the show know that yourself surely.

You are doing a very poor job at trying to pretend you are in no way connected to the show. I don't understand why any "fan" from Cork (of a Dublin radio station) would set up a page that is quite obviously being used to promote the station and going way overboard with trying to make it look popular and sing its praises. The fact of the matter is that nobody around Dublin rings into that show for a reason and the very few times I have turned it on I have had to turn it off again because the sound of the presenters voice alone is enough to make me cringe. No need to be getting all defensive, if you are in no way connected to the show then I am sure my opinion of the show will like water off a ducks back to you! But I think we both know that that's not the case!

You need to check your info dude, as I did not setup the thread at all in the station is not a Dublin Station. It has listeners here in Cork aswell. I'm bored with you now.

You need to check your info dude, as I did not setup the thread at all in the station is not a Dublin Station. It has listeners here in Cork aswell. I'm bored with you now.

Bored or embarrassed because you are in fact connected to the show? It is broadcasted from Dublin, that's the humiliating thing about it. That is my point. As a station that is broadcasted from Dublin and for nearly all of the callers to be from Cork, it just doesn't look very good does it?? Says it all really. Though I personally feel that if they took a new approach presenter wise the show could possibly improve! That presenter they have could give a panadol a headache! I myself am not a huge fan of talk shows at night in general but this show just takes the biscuit. If I was on the fence about late night talk shows and then listened to that show it would make my decision between listening to music or chat shows very easy, music would win hands down! Although it is unfair to tar them all with the same brush, not all chatshows are that bad!

Also, if you are not connected to the show why feel the need to write "here in cork"... Who says that??? So obvious!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eiresandra

My point is that it's hugely unpopular in Dublin so that is probably why they broadcast throughout Ireland.

I don't want to get into bickering, but really? "That's probably why they broadcast throughout Ireland."

Do you have any understanding of the licensing process at all?

eiresandra wrote: »
    I don't want to get into bickering, but really? "That's probably why they broadcast throughout Ireland."

Do you have any understanding of the licensing process at all?

The licensing process is not my concern at all thanks very much! As I said either way, they BROADCAST from Dublin and it's still all Cork callers. I know from living in Dublin and speaking to people what the general opinion of that show is and it's not very nice!! If you were someone from Dublin tuning in for the first time and hearing all callers from Cork it is an immediate turn off!! Especially when it's either Cork callers or a certain 2 callers that are always on, which as a matter of fact has been said to me by a few different people. It just proves that they struggle to get calls. I know as somebody who has heard the show a few times that it is of very poor quality and it would more than likely put me to sleep each night if I was to continue listening. I don't understand why everyone is getting so defensive, I mean it's pretty obvious the show isn't exactly top notch!! Well I understand why Proview is so defensive as there is a connection to the show there, I think that's been established!! Either way you can try to defend the show or belittle me, either way we all know the show is brutal!! I just think it is pathetic for someone who is connected to the show to make an account here to try to pose as a "fan" in order to big themselves up. If the show was that good and was doing that well they wouldn't need to do that. Its a bit embarrassing.

Judging by your previous posts you are obviously somebody who is involved in radio and probably know the person who has set up an account claiming to be a fan who is actually connected to the show!! Makes the show come across even more pathetic and staged guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

My point is that it's hugely unpopular in Dublin so that is probably why they broadcast throughout Ireland.
    no, they broadcast in the cities apart from waterford because their licenced to, not because their unpopular in dublin, popularity in dublin has nothing to do with it, 4fm didn't get to choose where they broadcast to, the BCI did and they applied and won

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The licensing process is not my concern at all thanks very much! As I said either way, they BROADCAST from Dublin and it's still all Cork callers. I know from living in Dublin and speaking to people what the general opinion of that show is and it's not very nice!! If you were someone from Dublin tuning in for the first time and hearing all callers from Cork it is an immediate turn off!! Especially when it's either Cork callers or a certain 2 callers that are always on, which as a matter of fact has been said to me by a few different people. It just proves that they struggle to get calls. I know as somebody who has heard the show a few times that it is of very poor quality and it would more than likely put me to sleep each night if I was to continue listening. I don't understand why everyone is getting so defensive, I mean it's pretty obvious the show isn't exactly top notch!! Well I understand why Proview is so defensive as there is a connection to the show there, I think that's been established!! Either way you can try to defend the show or belittle me, either way we all know the show is brutal!! I just think it is pathetic for someone who is connected to the show to make an account here to try to pose as a "fan" in order to big themselves up. If the show was that good and was doing that well they wouldn't need to do that. Its a bit embarrassing.

Judging by your previous posts you are obviously somebody who is involved in radio and probably know the person who has set up an account claiming to be a fan who is actually connected to the show!! Makes the show come across even more pathetic and staged guys!
    such a long post, but your still wrong, it isn't the unpopularity of the station in dublin that is the reason it broadcasts to other cities in ireland, you don't care about the licencing process, fine, but don't come out with ideas that a stations unpopularity in dublin is its reason for broadcasting to other places as well when it clearly isn't true

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Judging by your previous posts you are obviously somebody who is involved in radio and probably know the person who has set up an account claiming to be a fan who is actually connected to the show!! Makes the show come across even more pathetic and wstaged guys!

Dude your repeating yourself and sounding obsessive and it seems like you may be their competition and obsessed with his show .... It's kinda cute in a stalker way! ......

such a long post, but your still wrong, it isn't the unpopularity of the station in dublin that is the reason it broadcasts to other cities in ireland, you don't care about the licencing process, fine, but don't come out with ideas that a stations unpopularity in dublin is its reason for broadcasting to other places as well when it clearly isn't true

Well it is true that the show is extremely unpopular in Dublin!! I googled the ratings last night out of curiosity and the figures.... well they speak for themselves... and for me!!

The presenter is terrible, definitely in the wrong line of work!! The topics are all either staged or stolen from other stations and the callers are all ancient or are from Cork and from a Dublin persons point of view that does not make for good radio!!

Sounds awful!

Dude your repeating yourself and sounding obsessive and it seems like you may be their competition and obsessed with his show .... It's kinda cute in a stalker way! ......

I am merely making a point!! I understand you would try to turn it around with you being connected to the show. You just cannot accept the fact that you have been caught. I mean I do feel sorry for you, that is not a normal way to behave!! If you really believed in the show that much you wouldn't need to pose as a fan to try and big it up!! You need help man!!

I am merely making a point!! I understand you would try to turn it around with you being connected to the show. You just cannot accept the fact that you have been caught. I mean I do feel sorry for you, that is not a normal way to behave!! If you really believed in the show that much you wouldn't need to pose as a fan to try and big it up!! You need help man!!

Ya think? :) Maybe you should consider using them first and lay on couch and talk about your obsession:) .......

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Greyham

Ya think? :) Maybe you should consider using them first and lay on couch and talk about your obsession:) .......

I can see why you register Proview, it is unfair not to have a voice when there is so much negativity which can be very one sided, both here and on the old RW forums.

But seriously, Proview with all due respect you very obviously have a connection to 4fm.

That said I actually think Niall is a good broadcaster, maybe 4fm PR people need to just ignore what's going on on here.

• Advertisement

Greyham wrote: »
    I can see why you register Proview, it is unfair not to have a voice when there is so much negativity which can be very one sided, both here and on the old RW forums.

But seriously, Proview with all due respect you very obviously have a connection to 4fm.

That said I actually think Niall is a good broadcaster, maybe 4fm PR people need to just ignore what's going on on here.

It wouldn't be in them to do that though. I mean can you name another broadcaster, one that's worth their salt now that would stoop so low to try and get attention that they would via their facebook page organize listeners to set up accounts on here if they didn't have one already and spam a thread in relation to a rival show? I think it's fair to say class and Boylan don't exactly go hand in hand.

Advertisement